Part 9 - Never trust a Snake ★

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Saturday, yes. How did I... What happened last night?"

"You fell asleep on the couch. It didn't look comfortable, you were all sprawled out and twisted. So I put you into bed."

You swallowed thickly. He had put you into his bed?

"Did you-"

"No," Tom shook his head. "I took the couch."

"Noble," you quipped, causing him to roll his eyes at you. "Why can't I remember how I got into bed?"

He shrugged as he turned to face you. "You slept through it. I wasn't aware that was possible either."

Oh. An image of Tom picking you up from the couch and carrying you across the room flashed through your mind. He must have tucked you in too; the heavy duvet was still wrapped around you. "Come here then?"

Tom looked at you, scepticism thick on his features, before you reached out for him, holding a hand in the air and waiting for him to take it. He did and you slowly pulled him closer, lifting the duvet, until he lay down next to you. Cautious fingers went up to his face and ran through his hair, to which he closed his eyes, letting you play with his locks for a while. 

Now that you were fully aware of where you were, you noticed how different Tom's linen smelled compared to your own. They had his clean, warm scent, of tangy embers dying in the fireplace, mixed with leather and something fresh like dewy iron. The scent had rubbed off on you while you had slept there and it felt like he had marked you, without even coming close.

"You didn't have to sleep on the couch," you whispered.

His eyes opened again. "You were completely knocked out. That would have felt off."

"Well, for next time then," you smiled, took his chin between your fingers and pressed a kiss to his mouth. The touch was still unfamiliar, a great deal of uncertainty as to whether he would reciprocate spreading in your veins. But he did, soft lips meeting yours, lingering as he exhaled and parting only in reluctance. "We're engaged after all. Have you forgotten?"

"Oh piss off," he scoffed and pulled you in for another kiss.

Some hours later, when you were tending to the Moly, you looked over towards the fireplace, where Nagini was sleeping in front of

Some hours later, when you were tending to the Moly, you looked over towards the fireplace, where Nagini was sleeping in front of. At least you assumed she was sleeping. Her eyes were open and her tongue flicked out of her mouth now and again, but she seemed calm. She had curled up like a cat seeking warmth. The only thing missing was for her to start purring. Well, a pet was a pet, you figured.

"How's the Moly doing?" Tom asked and went up to inspect it.

"Good. Great actually," you said. "I think we'll earn those extra points from Beery."

"Don't you think it looks a bit sickly?" he asked, holding the thin black stem between his fingers.

"No, it's alright."