Chapter Two

Magnolia

Mr. Bernard was smiling contently and nodding his head slowly as going through the files "Perfect, You did your best Lia, as always."
I was relieved that everything went as I planned and the outcome of those crazy sleepless nights was Mr. Bernard's contentment.

He was on my nerve most of the time and expecting me to do my hardest to bring up the most unique ideas, but he also was the one who trusted me and gave me a chance to prove my abilities in this field. I worked my ass off to be in this place.

Minutes passed in silence and finally, Mr. Bernard lifted his head and looked at me with his cold dark eyes "I'm very pleased with your work dear, and I appreciate your hardworking. I never regret my trust."

I smiled "Thank you, Mr. Bernard. Am very happy that you are pleased."

He replied with a faint smile on his thin lips "Well I should thank you. You can have 2 days off and try to get some sleep, your eyes are screaming your lack of sleep. And one more thing before you leave, Lia dear there's something that I'd like to talk about.
I waited to see the edits to make my final decision."

He entwined his fingers and I became a little uncomfortable and probably nervous as well because he continued " Dear don't worry. It is a business matter.

Well, I have an offer for you and I trust you in this. Mr. Valentini, one of our most prestigious clients requested a specially designed emerald necklace for his mother's 50th birthday."
Valentini, It was a familiar name, I heard it here and there but I couldn't recall any other information about this Valentini guy

"Mrs. Theresa Valentini has a very unique taste and Mr. Valentini wanted his precious gift to be in absolute perfection. Well, she is related to the British royal family and a very difficult person, I want you to do the design, I trust in your innovative abilities and your designs for our new collection are enough proofs."

At the moment I was stressed out and my palms starting to sweat. I knew it was a great opportunity and choosing me amongst the professional ones was a great honor, but all these high details about this Valentini family, the precious necklace and even mentioning the Royal Family were enough for someone like me to have a panic attack.

I didn't know what to say, Mr. Bernard was looking right into my eyes" well, what do you say"

I put my hands on my knees and stared down at my manicured nails as my possible favorite sight in the world "Mr. Bernard,.I...I... I haven't done any...any design for a special client.I..I'm afraid I..."

Hell why my voice sounded so weak ?Did he even hear me?
"Oh dear, don't hesitate. I'm sure you can do this better than anyone. This is a great opportunity to make a professional name for yourself as a designer. It will change your future in this field."
I couldn't speak out "but ..."

He smiled and clapped his hands" well I don't have the whole day dear, I take a yes as your answer."

I couldn't believe how he made me accept this huge responsibility forcefully of course, and how I couldn't say a simple NO, well at least I tried. I wasn't convinced of all the benefits that I could get for my future career, I was scared.
'What would happen if she didn't like the necklace?Will I get fired?or What?' All these thoughts flooded my mind and my head was throbbing. I couldn't speak my thoughts out loud.

"how...how much time do I have to complete the design?"
Oh, finally I could speak. Mr. Bernard leaned to his leather chair "10 days."
"what" well maybe I said it a little loud that Mr. Bernard frowned a bit and gave a cold glare.
"I mean,10 days isn't enough. How am I going to complete it in such a short time?It's impossible."

He didn't wait for more sentences to form"you have 2 days to get some rest as I said and then 10 days. It has to be enough Lia. I should consider everything to deliver it on the exact date. Well, if you need anything just call me.No matter what time, I just expect it to be done in a limited time perfectly."

Obviously, I didn't have a choice, That was it. Damn perfectionism.
"I'll try my best."
"of course you will dear."
I stood up and headed to my office room. I grabbed my brown leather purse and folder. My phone went off, I looked at the usual caller ID on screen: Catie.
"Where.Are.You.BITCH?"

I took a deep breath "Where should I be?At work."
"Why you sound like shit? What happened?"
Well, that's your the one true old as fuck best friend.

"Well I think I'm in trouble."I replied irritated.
"Oh, trouble" She literally beamed with pure joy "finally good news. Take your lazy ass here."
And she hung up without waiting for my answer.
I headed out of the building towards my Audi and hopped in.
Oh, I was going to live in hell for the next 10 days. Mr. Bernard made sure of it.