Chapter Five: A Gift of Knowledge

Start from the beginning

"Hey Remus, can you pass me a piece of toast please." I asked him and he looked up from his book with a smile.

"Sure. Which one do you want?" He asked as he reached over.

"I don't care. You can us your hands, I don't mind," I told him and he grabbed me a piece, "Thanks mate."

"No problem."

After breakfast Lily and I went back up to our dormitory to get our school bags. I took that time to check my schedule.

Friday
9:00 - Transfiguration ~ Professor McGonagall - Hufflepuff
10:10 - History Of Magic ~ Professor Binns - Ravenclaw
Lunch
12:30 - Double Defense Against the Dark Arts ~ Professor Switch - Slytherin
Dinner

We had Transfiguration first, then History of Magic, our first lesson, lunch and after lunch double Defense Against the Dark Arts. It would be our first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson too. Unfortunately it was with the Slytherins.

During Transfiguration, we took up the work we did the day before and McGonagall gave us all match sticks to practice with. Lily had successfully transfigured hers as well as Remus. I swear my match stick looked a bit shiny, but I didn't get it fully turned.

History of Magic was about as fun as the title claimed it to be. Our teacher, Professor Binns, was ghost and was about as energetic as a piece of parchment. Not fun at all. To be honest, I think I might have dozed off a bit and I was so happy when it was time for lunch. As we walked back to the Great Hall, an older student in Gryffindor with black hair and blue eyes, walked up to me.

"Professor Dumbledore would like to see you in his office. Preferably now, is what he told me. His password is sugar quills." The boy relayed to me and rushed off to his friends that were across the table.

"Save me something to eat. I'll be back soon," I told my friends and rushed off to find the headmasters office, "Hopefully."

On the way I bumped into Professor McGonagall. Just the person I was hoping to see.

"Hello, Professor. Do you mind pointing me in the direction of Professor Dumbledore's Office? He asked to see me." I asked the stern witch with a smile. She directed me and I was on my way. I walked down the corridor and took a left. I turned around and faced a gargoyle, the one that Professor McGonagall described.

"Sugar quills." I said to the gargoyle and he sprang aside to let me enter the stairwell. I entered through a pair of double doors and was faced with another set. I softly knocked when I got to them and Dumbledore's voice called out, inviting me in. I pushed the doors open and walked up to the headmaster's desk. He gestured towards a seat and told me to take it.

"I was sharing some words with the Sorting Hat yesterday and he told me some interesting things." Dumbledore started, I looked at him confused, "In your mind, is a wonderful gift."

"Okay. Thank you. But I'm not sure what you mean." I told him. His eyes twinkled.

"Have you heard of a gift called Legilimency?

"No, sir." I responded.

"Well, it's a special branch of magic that helps navigate through the many layers of a person's mind. With enough practice, you could be able to read someone else without a lot of thought. I can tell you can already read people pretty easily. With the help of Legilimency, you can develop your gift a lot more."

"Thank you, Professor Dumbledore. But I'm still not sure what I am doing here." I thanked him and looked at him for further instructions.

"I would like to help you. To teach you."