barista (r. byrne)

au in which rose is single

"Welcome to Starbucks, what can I get for you?" you smiled kindly at the pretty woman who was standing in front of you.

"Um, I think I'll have a grande mocha frappuccino, but could I get that with caramel syrup, please?"

"Alrighty, now, could I get your name, please?"

"It's Rose."

Writing it on the cup, you handed her the receipt the machine had just printed, "Thank you, your order will be ready shortly."

"Thank you," Rose replied with a smile.

She sat down nearby, watching as you left your counter to another person and started mixing drinks. About ten minutes later, she was on her phone, when you called, "I've got a grande mocha frappuccino for Rose, please?"

Picking up the beverage, she could have sworn your smile grew as you handed the cup to her. She was absolutely confused, up until she left, and she realized what was written on her drink.

are you magnetic? because i can't help but feel attracted to you ;) have a nice day today, ms. rose

★★★

Rose didn't go back there until about two weeks later, when she was really in need of the drink. Not to mention she wanted to see your face again.

She placed her order at the counter, with someone who wasn't you, unfortunately. Pushing the disappointment down, she sat at the same spot she sat last time and waited for her drink.

"Grande mocha frappuccino for Rose, please?" an all-too-familiar voice called, which made her heart jump in surprise as she went to pick her drink up.

"I see you have a preference," you joked, grinning at her. She rolled her eyes at you playfully. "Doesn't everyone?"

"That's true. Still, I haven't seen you here in a while, Miss Rose."

"Why, were you looking for me?"

"What if I was?"

"Then I might just show up more often," Rose said, throwing a wink at you before she left. Once she had exited, she checked to see if the pretty barista she couldn't get off her mind had left a note, and sure enough, there was one.

are you a light? because you brighten up the whole room ;) you look especially pretty today, ms. rose

★★★

The next exchange the two of you shared came sooner than last time, because she came in with Sarah about three days later.

Once again, you weren't the one at the counter when they placed their orders, and Rose had to pretend she wasn't disappointed, not that Sarah didn't notice, of course.

"So, who are you looking for?" she questioned immediately.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb. You're obviously looking for someone. And my guess is it's an attractive barista. Probably the same one who was writing those pick up lines on your coffee."

"I-" Rose started, dumbfounded, "how did you get all that?"

"You're not exactly the hardest person to read."

"Well, I'm not sure if she's working today."

"Oh, so it's a she?"

Rose was about to retort, when you suddenly called, interrupting the exchange, "I've got a grande cold brew for Sarah, and a grande mocha frappuccino for Rose, please?"

Sarah stood up and Rose followed, going to pick up their drinks. "So, you showed up much sooner than I expected, Miss Rose."

"Wasn't my decision entirely," she grinned, gesturing to Sarah.

"Does that mean I have to wait a long time again before I can see your beautiful face?"

"It all depends, Miss-"

"Y/N," you answered with a smile, "I'm looking forward to seeing you again Miss Rose, enjoy your day, you too, Miss Sarah."

"Thanks," Sarah replied, and they exited the cold store, sipping their drinks thoughtfully.

"Well, Rose, gotta hand it to you, she is pretty."

"Yeah, she is, isn't she?"

could you call a doctor for me, please? i think my heart stopped when i saw you ;) it's really nice to see you again, ms. rose

★★★

"Hi, could I get a-"

"Grande mocha frappuccino with caramel syrup, as per usual?"

"Clearly, you know me too well," Rose chuckled at you as you took her order. "And clearly, you need to try some other drinks."

"Why should I?"

"Because," you said, printing her receipt, "as much as I love mocha frappes, chocolate chip is also a great choice."

"Are you advertising to me?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I'm just glad to see your gorgeous face again."

"You never run out of compliments, do you?"

"When I'm talking to a person as beautiful as you, I don't believe running out of compliments is possible."

She laughed, cheeks slightly pink, "I bet you say that to every customer."

"Nope," you replied as you handed her the receipt, "you're the first."

"Really? I'm flattered."

"Well, I don't think you should. I'm just speaking the truth."

Rose laughed, shaking her head as she made to leave. "Hey, um, Miss Rose?"

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering if maybe, you'd like to go out with me sometime?" you asked shyly, scratching the back of your neck.

She smiled at your nervousness, "I'd love to. I'm free later, if that's what you're going to ask."

"My shift finishes in about ten minutes, how do you feel about lunch?"

"I'll be waiting for you, then," she threw a flirty wink at you then left to sit down.

Exactly ten minutes later, you approached her, drink in hand, dressed in a black shirt and jeans, without the green apron, of course. "I've got a grande mocha frappuccino with caramel syrup for the most beautiful woman in this store, please."

"And who might that be?" she asked, still not looking up.

"Her name's Rose, and I've got a lunch date scheduled with her."

"Why'd you ask her out?"

"Because nobody's caught my attention the way she has. Hell, I prepared a list of pick up lines just for her. And all I really want is a chance to get to know her better. And quite frankly, she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life."

"Well," she replied, smiling, "I think she could say exactly the same about you."

wc : 1017

to the people still reading this, a huge thank you lmao

and also drop your feedback, requests, and ideas !!

- mayesha 🤧