sober (a. macray + g. steinem)

Being a lesbian in the 70s wasn't the easiest thing. Loving women hadn't been a conscious decision for you, but you had grown to accept it, and your parents, despite being initially disappointed, had come to terms with it as well.

You were a huge supporter of the E.R.A and the feminists, primarily because your girlfriend was one of the movement's leaders. Yes, you read that right. THE Gloria Steinem was your girlfriend, and your relationship was one of the many reasons she was so adamant on getting lesbian rights.

That was how you found yourself in Houston by her side, or rather, in her arms as you woke up beside her. The two of you had been able to get there a day early, so you had been granted the privacy of a room. And after a cuddle-filled night, it didn't seem like either of you had any intentions of moving.

"Morning, gorgeous," she said with a smile. You could only shake your head and press a soft kiss on her cheek.

"Good morning to you too."

"So, are we going to go down?" she asked, still running her hand through your hair. You just nuzzled down deeper into her shoulder, "Five more minutes."

"You said that twenty minutes ago. Come on, let's go."

She got up, leaving you in the now-cold bed. "It's too early, I'm sleepy and now I'm cold too."

"Then get up, silly."

"Drag me," you said, reaching an arm out at her. Rolling her eyes, she pulled you out of the comfort of the bed, earning a shiver from you.

"Now, get dressed. I'm hungry."

"What are you wearing?"

Digging around in her suitcase, Gloria replied with a smirk, "Clothes."

"Haha, hilarious. Can I borrow your shirt?"

"No. Not that one, I'm wearing that."

"What about this one?"

"Fine, you can use that."

"Yay," you celebrated, pulling on the top, "Now we can go."

"Have you brushed your teeth?"

"I swear, you act like my mom."

"Hurry up, I'm hungry."

"Fine, fine."

★★★

Both of you, finally clean and ready, made your way down to the floor, where the convention took place. You could see the Stop E.R.A. women talking to some reporters, that was a regular occurrence at these events, but something was new.

"Hey, Gloria?"

"Hm?"

"Who is that?" you asked, pointing at a woman in purple, who seemed to be very flustered as the reporter grilled her.

"Why do you ask?"

"She looks uncomfortable."

"Huh," your girlfriend replied, "I don't think I've encountered her before, but I see what you mean."

"I kinda want to go and save her."

"I don't think she'd appreciate that, honey, given we're on opposing sides."

"I feel bad for her. She looks like she doesn't even want to be here."

"Ooh, does someone have a crush?"