Three

Clara Jean admires the older man as he drives. His furrowed brows make her realize that his wrinkles come from his focused nature. She withholds the need to fix his eyebrows. Her gaze travels to his hands. Bear paws envelope the smooth leather wheel. Rings coat his fingers and a watch with a leather band sits on his wrist. The leather is worn and is decorated antique and intimate carving. Clara Jean makes a mental note to ask him about his watch. The worn band has an angular pattern burned into the leather. His thick digits tight against the wheel as a car cuts off his route; his reactions made it so he didn't have to slam, but the whiteness of his knuckles indicates his road rage, though it is silent in the car.

Big fingers running across my skin; rough pads of his hands hold her throat in the softest, most seductive ways.

The car stops and Clara Jean looks at Elijah for direction, which makes his lips quirk in a boyish smile. It seems innocent enough, but she doesn't tune into his purr of satisfaction. He walks out the car to her side. He unbuckles her and helps lift her out of the vehicle. 

He holds her hand as they walk into the mall. The thin air caresses her cheeks and plays with the fibers of her hair. Burnt leaves crack under Clara Jean's shoes and she admires the lame sky. Her eyes attune to the large, metropolitan, building. It is rather unappealing, rectangular and tall with little windows. The name of the mall hands above the doors. People enter and exit until their exchange makes the entrance a mere flow of people. She takes it all in and finds herself winded at the amount of life swarming in this mediocre rectangle. She has never been to a mall because her mother would take her to small boutiques over the crowded and dirty mall.  She also bought clothes online frequently because stores never sold her desired aesthetic. Knowing that a myriad of stores is just beyond that entrances, she wonders how people don't get lost among the chaos. She was sure if it weren't for the bear paw holding her hand she would be lost already.

"Which store do you want to start at, baby?" Elijah disrupted her awe and she turned her attention toward his face. His lips were turned up in a soft smile. They were already at the entrance. Sensing the swell of people surrounding her, she curled closer to his figure. It was only natural that she would seek the comfort of a man who called her such a sweet pet name. She couldn't help but trust him.  She felt the burning stares directed toward them noted other. They were frozen in the middle of the walkway, disrupting the flow of people. Elijah didn't seem to care because his eyes were trained on her face, awaiting for her answer. He noted that the skylight above them made her eyes twinkle like diamonds. 

"I-I've never been here before." She mumbles uncertainly as blush coats her cheeks. Elijah smiles and admires her bashfulness. He thought it suited her small figure. The heat at his side had already let him know she was new to the mall experience. 

"Is that so? What brands do you usually shop at?"

"I don't know. My mom usually buys them off the internet and hands them to me. Sometimes I pick them. Like the dress I'm wearing today!" Clara's voice rises at the end with her eyes adopting a childlike pride. Innocent and simple pride at  her independence. Elijah grins and navigates his koala through the bustling waves. 

"That's okay; we can wonder around," Elijah's thumb caresses the top of her hand. He coos her flushed cheeks and smirks at her avoidant gaze. He brings her into a store and observed her face. He grimaced at the pounding music and tangible pheromones of teen angst. His head pounded at the reminder of his younger, more ornery days. Dark clothes were accompanied by trendy nicnacks. It reminded him of when he would wear black jeans and leather jackets. It was a silly style, really. He scoffed at the band tees that he certainly would've worn with the predeceasing clothes and call it style. He likes to believe he outgrew his sixteen year old style.