Chapter 26 - Double Lives Begin

Start from the beginning

Mike nodded back, “I’ll let you two finish homework because I told Brittany I would meet her to help with science.”

After he left I turned to Carter, “We have a friend again.”

“We do,” he smiled, “he understood?”

I nodded, “If he noticed that I’m hiding something then I don’t think he cares what it is.”

“That’s good right?”

“Yeah,” I smiled, “I think it is. I feel bad for Brittany though.”

“Yeah,” he sighed, “Who knew free will would be so dangerous.”

“Before I met you we both had a rebel reputation and we didn’t even understand what being a rebel meant. She probably feels like I’ve betrayed her when I haven’t.”

“Think of it this way, you’ll be able to tell her the truth when this is all over. You can’t tell her the truth now but when all of Murera knows the truth it’ll be different. When Rolla makes the decision to tell them you can tell Brittany the truth and she’ll understand.”

“Yeah,” I sighed, “Hopefully it’s not too far away.”

He reached over and held my hand, “Think of something else for now and distract yourself.”

I opened my book, “Let’s finish our homework first.”

He smiled and opened his book. We finished our homework as quickly as we could and stopped by my house to drop off my things. Mom got home early and was making dinner when we walked in.

“Haven’t you been busy lately,” mom smiled at me as Carter and I walked in.

I smiled back, “School takes up a lot of time. What are you making?”

“Pasta, you two staying?”

“Sure,” I nodded, “We’re gonna go up to my room to drop off our books.”

“It’ll be done in five minutes,” she said as we went to my room.

We set our bags on my bedroom floor and I laid on my bed, “I’m tired,” I told Carter.

He chuckled, “Me too.”

He laid next to me and I moved over so he could put his arm around me.

“We should probably go to the kitchen,” I mumbled.

“Probably,” he said back but neither of us moved.

I laughed, “We’re not moving.”

“Are you sure? I think I probably am.”

“Nope,” I giggled.

He laughed and we both sat up.

“This double life thing is exhausting,” I said.

“Agreed.”

            We quickly ate dinner with my mom before I packed my things and went to Carter’s house with him. The reason we’re so exhausted is because we’ve had to catch Carter up on the Tigma schooling. We have to keep up our double life which means we have to make sure it seems like Carter’s been here all along. Carter studied nonstop and we’ve been doing homework together ever since because he wanted to make sure he didn’t sound stupid in class. He could never sound stupid to me obviously, but I humored him and I’ve been helping all I can. We’ve been so busy that we’re now determined to relax for the night. I already have a headache from all the studying I’ve done this week. Instead of going straight to Carter’s house Carter carried my bag and we walked around town for a while.