Chapter 18 : Second Chance!?

Start from the beginning

"She was upset that I couldn't make it. I had given her a call in the evening and she had liked the black dress I had sent but was angry. I knew the anger but the way she reacted was not usual. That was the first day where she spoke in a way that was very disturbing." I had lumps in my throat even with the thought of the conversation that we had  four months back. I paused for a while. Dhruv just stood at the fence and looked at me.

"Thank you for the dress and your wishes.I just realised one thing today, I have become a granted entity in your life. I am at an easy access fo r you and hence I am losing my value in your life. Your Mumbai life, profession has been enthralling for you which has made you this way. Well, I deserve this Mayank. Thank you. I must say, your friends were better." These were her words over the call, with out letting me speak. I saw Dhruv's eyes popping at it.

For the first time I had felt she never understood me, I wanted to speak out but her words were just too heavy and they had snubbed my voice. I had apologised, wished her again and hung the call. That was the second day I had tears in eyes because of her words. The first was when I had heard those three magical words from her.

"That mood of hers prevailed for few weeks. Every conversation of ours had taunt in them and never was it smooth. With time, she had let that go and I was happy that she did, but I always knew this would pop up every now and then. Our conversations had become less informal and something tedious. I missed that magic and her sparkle that revived me." I saw his face.

"Things seem a joyous ride but later we realise the bumpy track" Dhruv sighed and sat on the table.

"Last week, I was rerturning home from office when I got a call from her. She was devastated, her voice seemed damped. Her parents were pretty seroius about getting her married with in a year and that was just not the thing. There was something else that bothered her more than th emarriage proposal cause by then she had rejected two. She did not make a mention of what was bothering her then, I did ask once but never insisted like always. I consoled her like every other time and assured her that within a year I would be flying back to Bangalore and fix everything for us. She seemed half convinced and hung the call. I assumed she would be fine and did not question much."

"And why did you not insist on asking her what else was bothering her other than this?" Dhruv questioned. I had no asnwer to give. All I knew was I was not the same person like before. The main reason I was here at Mumbai was to get setteled soon and get back to have her in my life, but twhen I understood that she did not realise it, I was broke from with in. I realised, somewhere the connect was getting affected. May be the fact that it was now a long distance relation, we were facing all trhis. But, something definitely was not right.

"Complete it Mayank, the more you fight within yourself, more thev problem will lingerf around by you." Dhruv broke the pause I had taken.

"I was at cafetria by four in the evening. I had taken a break. After a lot of thinking, I decided to talk to her and pour everything out and get things back on track. Get the magic working. I gave her a call and the call went missed. I assumed she was held with work and I waited for a while before calling again. After a while when I tried, it was recieved but I could here disturbance, and a group of people talking. I felt she was with her family and hence I kept he call." I gave him the background of what had happened. Dhruv nodded his head.

"I got back to work and had not noticed her calls. There were fifteen calls that I had missed by half past five in the evening. I took another break and headed out to give a call. That call which ended it for us. The phone dialed and she received"

"I explained her my situation why I couln't answer her call and in return she mocked me down with her one liner did I ask you for your explaination. I was stunned at that and felt silent. Her words only meant that, she wanted to make a point and that is when she had called. I had gone mute at the way she moved. I gave her the chance to speak." I stopped to see Dhruv's eyes go round in wonders.

"I can't wait anymore, I can't keep my parents in the dark. Waiting for you and your words, I have realised I am heading for a dead end. I have got nothing but a void. A void towards which I don't even want to turn." I stated her exact words to him and continued.

"There is this one proposal that is very dear to my family. They feel this would be apt for me and the family. I don't feel the need for you to know about the proposal as I have decided to go with my family. I have to see my happiness as well and so I decide to let you free, sorry set myself free." her words were just building in rage.

"From almost six months the relation that we had has been a prolonged one and so I feel its better draw the curtains down and not bother for each other.

"Her words took a tornado within me, tears had caught the heat and they rolled down as she spoke. Her attitude towards the relation had changed. The relation had become an entity of past accoring to her and she felt it a prolonged one. All this made me lose myself." I still had my eyes waterlocked recollecting the incident that had happened.

"I did not know we stand here this way. Well I should have seen this coming. This was what was your plan, you however knew that you would tie the knot to the one who your family chose. I was just the back up for you. You have played your cards realy well, I must say. Respect for all the acts you have put up. As far as the new guy is concerned, to hell with him.:" this is was the first ever time I had spoken to her in rage. I did not realise it when I had.

"Dhruv, I know i am at fault, I shouldn't have yelled at her. She was right in every way. She has all the rights to look for her happiness and when she knows what her happiness is, I think she should go with it." Tears rolled down. I wiped them quick as I had felt I had shed a lot of tears already.

"Mayank, every individual gets a second chance, what you have spoken was a reaction to what you had heard. Do not regret now. " He paused as he sensed a vibration in the behind table. He got up to check and stood their with my phone in hand.

"I think you god wants you both to give second chances to each other." He showed the phone and waved. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mynote : vote and comment if you like. Happy reading!