Step 18: Talk Casually

HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED RETURNS

In a brief statement on Friday night, Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He Who Must Not Be Named has returned to this country and it once more active.

"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself as Lord — well you know who I mean — is alive and among us again," said Fudge, looking tired and flustered as he addressed reporters. "It is with equal regret that we report the mass revolt of the Dementors of Azkaban, who have thrown themselves averse to continuing the Ministry's employ. We believe the Dementors are currently taking direction from Lord— Thingy.

"We urge the magician population to remain vigilant. The Ministry is currently publishing guides to elementary home and personal defence which will be delivered free to all wizarding homes within the coming month."

The Minister's statement was met with dismay and alarm from the wizarding community, which as recently as last Wednesday was receiving Ministry assurances that there was no truth whatsoever in these persistent rumours that You-Know-Who is operating amongst us once more.

Details of the events that led to the Ministry turnaround are still hazy, though it is believed that He Who Must Not Be Named and a select band of followers (known as Death Eaters) gained entry to the Ministry of Magic itself on Thursday evening.

Albus Dumbledore, newly reinstated Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, reinstated member of the International Confederation of Wizards and reinstated Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, has so far been unavailable for comment. He has insisted over the past year that You-Know-Who is not dead, as was widely hoped and believed, but is recruiting followers once more for afresh attempt to seize power. Meanwhile, the 'Boy Who Lived' —

Ember slammed the Daily Prophet down, her jaw clenched. Draco was sitting beside her, looking extremely tense. For a good reason too, his father had just been captured — along with many of Death Eaters — and put into Azkaban.

It turned out that the six who had broken into Umbridge's office the night before had also gone on a mission to the Ministry to find something though no one knew what it was since neither Dumbledore nor the six students would speak to anyone about it. Of course, there were many rumours that had spread like wildfire around the castle. Billie was the one who reported most of the rumours and stories back to the other five Slytherins, she always seemed to be on the ball of things.

Georgia was more pissed off than usual, she kept going on about how it was wrong of the Daily Prophet to mention the names of the Death Eaters that had been seen at the Ministry because that was rude to everyone though no one seemed to care how it affected the children of those who were in Azkaban.

Blaise and Cullen had been trying to knock Draco back into being his normal, arrogant, dickhead self but it was no use as he was more snappy and moody than ever.

Ember was annoyed that her own father hadn't been captured, Austin Rowle was still at large and still hadn't contacted her. What the hell was taking him so long? Maybe he didn't love her. Probably.

Everyone knew that Potter and his little friends were all in the Hospital Wing and Ember slightly hoped that they'd give Umbridge, who was in there after Dumbledore apparently rescued her from being killed by a bunch of centaurs... shame, a nasty kick for Ember.

"Draco, come on," Ember said gently to the blond who was trying his best not to break down from rage. "Let's go for a walk,"

Draco grabbed her hand and she lifted him up out of his seat, the two of them getting out of the dungeons and up to the Hogwarts corridors. As they passed, many students gave them weird looks and then began discussing them to their friends. It was most likely talk about Ember and Draco being a 'Death Eater duo'. Ember was already used to these rumours since she'd basically been the centre of them since she first arrived at Hogwarts but Draco was about to blow if one more person said anything.