Step 55: Pick a Side

"Do you know how to get in?" whispered Ember, stopping at the entrance of the Ravenclaw common room.

The entrance to the common room was located on the west side of Hogwarts at the top of the spiral staircase on the fifth floor. A door stood there, though there was no doorknob or keyhole, only a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle.

Cullen reached forward and grabbed it, knocking once. At once the beak of the eagle opened, but instead of a bird's call, a soft, musical voice said,

Draco gaped at him, "Are you stupid? What if you —"

"Journey without it and you will never prevail, but if you have too much of it you will surely fail." the knocker said causing Draco to almost trip over his own feet in surprised.

"What the f-" Ember began but was interrupted by Cullen saying, "Ravenclaws are too smart for the rest of us, I say we leave and go to the common room where we're safe."

"Er - I think I have the answer but what happens if we get it wrong?" Draco said thoughtfully.

"Ew, you should be a Ravenclaw." Cullen said at the same time Ember said, "I guess we'll find out what happens, just say what you think."

"The answer is confidence," said Draco assertively.

To everyone's surprise, the eagle knocker said, "Good thinking," and the door swung open.

The deserted Ravenclaw common room was a wide, circular room, airier than any Ember had ever seen at Hogwarts. Graceful arched windows punctuated the walls, which were hung with blue-and-bronze silks: By day, the Ravenclaws would have a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The ceiling was domed and painted with stars, which were echoed in the midnight-blue carpet. There were tables, chairs, and bookcases, and in a niche opposite the door stood a tall statue of white marble.

It didn't take long for Ember to see the out-of-place bottom of a shoe that could be seen just near the large statue of Rowena Ravenclaw that stood in the middle of the common room.

"Potter," she spoke softly, like saying the word would cause pain on someone... and perhaps that someone was herself.

The Invisibility Cloak he was wearing slipped off to reveal Luna Lovegood by his side. Neither of them were supposed to be at Hogwarts and if the Carrows found them they'd both be dead.

"You need to leave," she said urgently to him, ignoring the stunned expression he wore on his face. "Please, they already know you're here." she added desperately.

It was too late, Potter ignored what Ember had to say. He stepped up to the plinth near the statue of Ravenclaw herself to read the letters that were etched on the delicate-looking circlet that had been reproduced in marble on top of her head.

"'Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.'"

"Which makes you pretty skint, witless," said a cackling voice.

Potter whirled around, slipped off the plinth, and landed on the floor. The sloping-shouldered figure of Alecto Carrow was standing before him, and even as Potter raised his wand, she pressed a stubby forefinger to the skull and snake branded on her forearm.

I felt the mark on my forearm burn. She was calling the Dark Lord, I turned to Draco who was clutching his arm in pain. He felt it too.

By this time, Ember, Luna and Cullen already had their wands pulled out. Draco stood in the corner of the room, watching in horror at the scene. Ember had finally decided that she wasn't going to stand back and let bad things happen... not anymore.