39

things are finally starting to look up

so watch out 😏

-

To say Ashton was nervous was an understatement. Perhaps the understatement of the century. He hadn't taken Calum out on a date in more than a year and a half. He spent hours in front of his mirror altering his outfit and hair, then, after giving up and deciding that Calum definitely wouldn't care how he looked, he finally left his house.

He headed straight for the flower shop, but didn't spend much time there. He knew going in exactly what kind of flowers he wanted to get for his angel. Tulips. Because Calum thought roses were too cliché. He brought him roses the day they first met, but Calum had called him cheesy and laughed about it (despite having loved the flowers).

Times were simpler then. Ashton didn't have to try hard to impress Calum because he could just smile and have him on his knees. Of course, he'd still put a great deal of effort in. Now, however, he had to spend a lot of time trying to impress Calum and prove to him that he wanted him. And he would gladly do it if that's what it took for Calum to want him back.

Their evening was perfectly planned out to match the exact same timeline and format of their first ever date. The same restaurant, the same place afterwards, and everything in between. Of course, for it to be just as lovely they didn't have to order the same exact meals or share the same exact dessert, but wouldn't it be ironic if they did?

He was picking Calum up from his place around 6pm. As he walked down the hallway to his apartment, his breathing shaky and heartbeat wild, he got this feeling that somehow, everything would be okay. When he reached the door, he paused, only for a moment, to clear his throat, adjust his shirt and make sure the flowers were arranged nicely. 

He knocked on the door. Calum opened it within seconds, like he'd been waiting right on the other side for Ashton's arrival. Both smiled nervously and spent the next few moments looking each other up and down (and blushing furiously once they realized). Neither of them had an explanation for it that made sense; they just found each other to be the most stunning people alive. 

"Hi." Ashton greeted softly. 

"Hi." Calum echoed. 

"I got you flowers, and..." He smiled lopsidedly and breathed out, "You look lovely." 

Calum flushed a rosy pink. "Thanks, um..." Ashton placed the flowers in Calum's hands. He took a deep breath and smiled, "You're welcome to step inside while I put these in a vase, we can leave in a moment." 

"Okay." The pair stepped back into Calum's apartment. Ashton shut the door behind him. Calum opened a cupboard and got out a vase to put his flowers in. Ashton didn't want this to be awkward, but he didn't know what to say. "So, um..." 

"No, don't do that." 

"Don't do what?" Ashton asked, chuckling. 

"You're already overthinking this. Don't. We're gonna have a nice time." 

"I know, I'm just nervous."

"So am I. Then again, I usually am." 

"Me too." Ashton chuckled anxiously. Calum finished up with the flowers and crossed the room to grab his jacket, phone, wallet and keys. 

"I'm ready to go."

"Okay, great." Ashton continued to smile. They left his apartment and headed down the hall, hand in hand. While they drove the twenty or so minutes to the restaurant, they talked like things between them had never ended. At one point, a certain song came on (What About Us by P!nk) and they sang their hearts out.