Chapter Three: Ingenious Daughter

"Come on, you can do it darling."

I eyed my mother, suppressing annoyance. Ever since the rest of the family found out I had begun to walk, each and every single one of them made it a personal goal to torment me by making me practice even more. Undoubtedly it was strengthening my physical abilities but it was far easier to do on my own when there weren't obnoxious laughs coming out of their mouths every single time I fell on my rear end. This was the only time I decided to make a fuss and cry - just out of petty vengeance. Their teasing ceased almost immediately but the coddling wasn't much better afterwards. Mind you, I'm used to having a family that gave no shits. But this one, well - they seemed to give a lot. Almost a little too much.

"She's quite advanced for her age." Father said, sweeping me into his arms.

Mother nodded. "Even Silvain and Lawrence who were quite excelled didn't start walking until a couple months later."

Shit, did I start doing some of these things too early? Hell, I didn't know when kids were expected to do or not to do certain things. From the stories I heard, most of the whole baby business involved a lot of restless nights and crying. Now that I thought about it, I guess my behavior was certainly a little strange.

"She doesn't cry very often either," mother added with a sigh, her fingers brushed through my hair.

"Did you call for the physician?"

"I did and he said there was nothing wrong with her."

"Then I doubt we need to fuss. Aveline is our child after all, I'm sure she'll do fine as time passes."

"She's done so much for the family already without knowing it."

Father chuckled. "The boys have taken quite a liking to her haven't they?"

"I heard they've been training harder than ever, wanting to see little Ave as soon as possible."

"The two work to complete their practices earlier than ever just to see their little sister."

A part of me wanted to laugh haughtily but another part of me felt warm and fuzzy. It was nice knowing that those two seemingly handsome numbskulls were working their butts off. I gave them a headstart after all, it wouldn't be long until I started competing with them.

Despite my silence, at night I had begun to secretly practice speaking. While enunciating words were still a challenge, my tongue had slowly gotten used to mumbling a few syllables. Clarity was the hardest part but my stubborn willpower to get it right superseded my childlike disposition. I had a message I wanted to tell my new family after all.

It wasn't long after before my very first birthday was celebrated.

Everything that was arranged for me was excessive in decor. Shouldn't these parents know better than to lavish a baby with these many gifts? Though it was hard to complain considering the heartfelt sentiments that were shown on all their faces. While the affection and attention was embarrassing, I couldn't help but admit that I liked it. At this point, it was hard to think otherwise. Though a part of me did feel ... wrong about the situation. If the original Aveline was alive, this would've all been hers wouldn't it?

"What's wrong Ave?"

My thoughts were interrupted when Silvain poked my cheek.

"She's probably tired from all the festivities," Mother was quick to intercede, smiling as usual.

"It'll soon be bedtime for her."

They all looked at me, warm smiles gracing all their beautiful faces.

It made my eyes teary.

"I wub yuv awl my precious fwamily. Tenk yuv mwuther, fwather, swilvain, luwarence fwor bweing bwy my swide." The words had flown out of my mouth easier than I had thought.

I knew I was great but the shock that adorned the faces of all my family members was a sight to see. They looked at me as if an angel had descended from the sky, that or that they witnessed something so shocking that they were frozen solid.

"D-Did she just..." Lawrence was the first to through the silence, eyes looking at me with sheer amazement.

"She's a genius," Silvain remarked, his mouth hanging agape after he swallowed his words, eyes still glued to me.

"I always knew Ave was advanced, but my, I never thought..." Mother's voice was calm but I could feel the trembles of her hands as she held onto me as if I was made of porcelain.

"She's beyond amazing," my father's voice was warm, his face looking at me with precious adoration.

"We truly need to nurture her talents." Mother said.

I could always count on this woman, she was smart enough to appreciate my intellect. I attempted to nod my head but the weight was still too hard for me to fully control my muscles.

"Ah it looks like she understood what you said mother," Silvain said with a grin.

"Perhaps Sir Milton should take a look at her instead of the Physician."

And that was how my birthday came to an end.

It wasn't long after that I was formally introduced to Sir Milton. I had heard his name in passing from the mouths of my brothers in particular. Silvain was accustomed to mocking Lawrence for his studies whenever Milton came around (or lack thereof) And today I was finally being introduced to him.

He looked fairly young, if not a few years younger than my own father. While his demeanor was composed, I could already assess that he was prone to anxiety. His hair seemed as worn down as he was, a pair of spectacles resting on his nose bridge. Despite his appearance, I liked him. He had a kind smile and warmth that wasn't unlike my parents.

He introduced himself to me and accessed me shortly afterwards. And while I couldn't proficiently use my tongue due to my underdeveloped motor skills, I was able to use my facial expression and fingers. Both my father and mother had accompanied me and watched. After a few moments of silence and scribbles. It seemed that Sir Milton had completed his assessment.

"Lord and lady De Bourbon, I must say - Aveline is far more advanced than any child I've ever met. I hope it is not too presumptuous or rude to request but I would like to advise and teach this child as soon as possible. She's very bright."

My mother smiled and my father grunted; his displeasure stemmed from petty jealousy where his dearest Ave would be spending less time with her after. After much coddling from my mother he reluctantly agreed to permit time for me to interact with Sir Milton. The allotted time would be short, only a mere fifteen minutes after my brothers were finished with their own lectures. But I was pleased with the results. After all, I needed to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible to avoid a miserable fate. 

A/N: Please like, comment, vote and etc to show your support! See you all in the next installment!