Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

I cried out feeling the burn on my arm. My mother was only a few feet away, her red velvet dress reaching her knees. Her head bleeding with thick liquid while she held out the tattered baby in her hands.

“Joseph!” I cried as I watched his body split apart by the sudden chandelier. I cringed falling back into the hole. The wood had split and so had my feet. I reached out grabbing an arm as I fell in to the dark hole. The screams evaded my thoughts as I fell on to the hard floor and closed my eyes feeling the woods trample me with it’s weight. The sun was brighter that day, the rays burned the house, the smiles. Dad was just out side the door, his fading hair flying behind as the cake fell out of his hands. He ran towards me trying to reach me but the blow was too harsh. It took him away as well. His sleek eyes had disappeared with the smoke. I heard the windows shatter the sound came crisp and clear as the sharp glass.

“Good bye daddy.” I whispered tears flowing from my face.

“Halina.” Petro mumbled my name as he pulled my head on to his lap. I shuddered feeling the damp cellar I was in now. I looked to the right and watched Dimitri caress Alik in her arms like a child. 

“Every one ahs nightmares Halina” Petro said stroking her hair. She closed her eyes wiping the tears from her eyes.

“I dragged you in with me” I sighed. Petro grinned.

“And because of you I’m alive” he joked. I turned in his lap and opened my eyes again. Watching as his olive sea green eyes matched mine. Our fathers looked identical and so did we. The same strong jaw, the piercing eyes and puckered lips. Only Petro’s stubble made him seem more manly than I. 

“I could saved them if I knew.” I mumbled. Petro let out a breath of frustration. 

“Halina, no one could’ve saved them. Why do you think about it so much?” he asked.

“I saw Joseph, Petro he didn’t even have a face.” I said biting the inside of my mouth. “I saw my baby brother in pieces” she trembled. 

“And I saw my father explode in front of my very eyes. Halina it hurts but you can’t blame yourself. It was fate. It happened.” he said looking away. I sat up bringing his face close to mine.

“You sound like you’re over it already.” I said. Petro looked deep into her eyes holding her gaze then looking at Innya.

“I’m not over it. Halina. I’m just not blaming myself.” Petro said. I nodded hugging him and smiled against his shoulders.

“I’m sure glad we found Alik.” Halina said.

“And I’m glad I’m here stuck with you, even though you do eat like a pig!” he accused. I chuckled punching him on the shoulder and winced as the misplaced bone on my right shoulder ached.

“You should tell Dimitri, she fixed Innya’s twisted ankle.” Petro said. I groaned.

“Yeah , yeah. I can do it myself” I said rolling my shoulders hearing the righ one crack.  “There” I said without wincing.

“It amazes me how you cry because of a night mare and just smile while positioning a broken shoulder.” Petro said sarcastically. 

“That isn’t just a nightmare. It was reality. I’m scared Petro.” I said shivering as I placed my head back on to his lap. He had groan taller in the past year. He came up to my shoulders at exactly 5’6, but now reached over 5’8. The burden of moving bricks and pushing pipes back into the correct socket had made him more coarse around the edges. There was no boy glow on his face. He had just seemed to have skipped his young years and lapsed into adulthood. Where his first responsibility was me, a scrawny frail girl who made it a living hell to be take care of. I winced at the thought of him helping me with my chores.