17

We were silent around the breakfast table. JB and I were sitting close together, her encouraging me to eat something, that I needed my strength.She was being discrete and hadn't said a word to anyone, just as I had requested. Instead, our little shared secret brought us closer. But when I was around anyone, I was expecting them to notice or say something, not that I was showing or anything.

The sound of the phone caused us all to jump, me sending the spoon clattering loudly into the bowl of cereal.
"I'll get it," Betty offered, moving to the phone. She seemed the least affected. That was until I heard her crying at the phone, Yale, offering her a place because a spot had recently opened. The spot that was meant for Jughead.

The next part that I hated about the coming days, was the constant asking from Alice to give an interview. Her and her station were running a special episode about Jughead Jones and his murder, interviewing family, serpents and friends. Only, I refused to speak to anyone except the Serpents and JB.

I had taken to sleeping in the day, not being able to sleep at all at night, and never staying in my room. I'd either be sitting on the couch, holding a framed photo of me and Jughead, whispering to my baby about their dad, and asking them what I was meant to do now. And in the day, I'd nap, barely sleeping for more than a half hour, and only ever in JB's room when she was there. Sleeping longer meant nightmares.

When I had finally managed to walk myself out of the house, claiming that I was going to Pop's, everyone was shocked. I hadn't left the house in a week since the news had spread, and suddenly I was all willing to get out of the house. I expected them to send Betty after me or JB, but no one moved, most likely fearful that pushing me would lead to me never leaving JB's room upstairs.

I had Jug's jacket pulled over my shoulders, keeping me warm in the slight chill that accompanied the forest. It was oversized, and looked like a dress, but it didn't matter. My hair wasn't brushed and was flowing freely behind me, tangling itself more as I made my way through the trees. I was looking for a place of tranquility. I was craving a place to scream and cry and curse Jug for leaving me. But underneath it all, was a cry that just begged Jughead to come home. If this was all a rouse, then so be it.

Once I arrived at my destination, I stood and took in the scenery. To my left was where we had sent Jason's body floating down the river, a final goodbye to my first real loss I had experienced. To my right was where I had been pulled out of a frozen Sweetwater River by Jughead, a suicide attempt that seemed so tempting once again. And right where I was standing was where I was found after Jason went missing. And now, it was where I came to remind me of all the reasons I needed to live. So I stood, looking at the rushing water, a hand on my stomach, and pretending I could feel Jughead's arms wrapped around me.

"I thought I'd find you here." I heard a voice say from behind me. By now, I had been there for an hour, and was now sat, barefoot, on the rock, letting my toes freeze in the water and my body heat in the sun.

Cheryl sat beside me, looking out at the water and remembering every scene we had here. It was silent, as if we were working out who should speak.
"We Blossoms seem to love these waters. Every story ends up here." She stated, and I knew exactly what she meant. Jason's death and mystery started here, our tragic attempt to join him started here, our closure ended here, and now in my grief, this was the one place I needed to be.
"I thought I could hide from Alice here. I don't need to talk to her about how I feel." I told my sister, and she nodded to me. Alice had interviewed Betty after her phone call, and had told me she would speak to me later. That was when I went upstairs, grabbed this jacket and left out the front door.
"Promise me you won't try and join him," She begged, grabbing my hand to hold, making me face her. "There might not be another Jughead to pull you out this time." I could see her worry.