12

After a brief hiatus, Riverdale's Watcher in the 'burbs, had released his much-anticipated follow-up. In the dead of night, a second round of voyeuristic video tapes had been left on doorsteps across town. Once again, VCRs were dusted off with dread. And once again, they played hours upon hours of footage of the viewer's home. Only this time, the camera was much, much closer. The implications were terrifying. What was next for the Watcher, breaking and entering?
And as if those deliveries weren't unsettling enough, colleges and universities had started sending out their first wave of envelopes. Some thin, some thick. All life-changing. Making it a particularly stressful time for Riverdale High seniors. Which is why Principal Honey asked the school's guidance counselor, Mrs. Burble, to offer extended office hours. So, whatever anxiety the students were feeling, they'd have a licensed professional to go to for confidential comfort and/or advice. Something, it turned out, many of us were long overdue for.

When I walked into the Cooper/Jones household, Betty and her mom were arguing. I knew this because just as I reached the door, before I could even put my hand on the door handle, I heard Betty.
"You have been invading my privacy for years and it's over!" Then I heard her pounding footsteps as she ascended to her bedroom. I counted to five, probably getting strange looks from any kids that were coming home from school and seeing me just stood at the door.

"You know it doesn't open if you just stare at it, right?" Button said, coming up behind me. He didn't have Bean with him today, just a bag full of homework that I'm sure he hadn't even started.
"I know that, thanks Button." I told him, rolling my eyes at the teenager as I let him into the house. He was laughing to himself as he entered.

I saw Mrs Cooper sat at the table, clearly cooling down after what had just happened. She turned to see who had entered and forced a smile in greeting.
"There's a letter for you," She said, holding a white envelope out to me. From the doorway I could see the stamp on it and I knew who it was from. It would determine my future. So, I moved forward as Button passed me and put his bag on the table, unknowing of what I was doing. He began to get out his homework as I held the letter in my hand, just looking at it as if that would tell me what was inside.
"This isn't the same as the door situation is it?" Button asked, not looking up from turning the pages of a book as he spoke to me. I couldn't help but laugh slightly at him. Mrs Cooper had disappeared.

Slowly, delicately, I opened the letter. I unfolded the letter and saw the first two words before a large smile began to unfold on my face. Congratulations Cynthia! My heart was racing, and my mind was spinning. I had managed to get into Iowa State University to major in teaching at middle school level.
"What's got you looking so happy?" Button asked me. When I looked at him his pencil was in his hand, clearly he'd just taken it out of his mouth from chewing at the end.
"On behalf of our faculty, staff, and students, I am pleased to offer you admission to Iowa State University." I read out, not bothering to read the rest of the letter just yet.
"You got in?" He asked, standing up, shocked. He was the only one of the kids I taught that I had told of my application. I was late in applying, so I didn't expect to get my letter in the first wave, or at all. All I could do was nod as he ran over hugging me, cheering for me.

Just as Button released me, the door opened, and in came Eagle and Falcon, laughing and pushing each other, joking as normal. They were followed in by Holli and Lili, James following behind them all with JB at his side. James had become close with JB over the past few weeks, enjoying her company over the rest of the group. The small group looked towards me and Button, instantly asking what had gotten us so happy.
"Guess who got into college!" I called out, showing off my letter. They all cheered loudly and ran to hug me. I felt so loved, so supported by my first group of children I have helped and I have taught. Button has gone from failing math to getting a B, Zylo can now write more than two sentences in an English essay, Holli and Lili were excelling in everything, James had started to open up more and the twins were learning when to joke around and when to get on with their work. These were my first small teaching group, and these were the kids that helped me realise what I was going to do with my life.