Answers

~Chapter Twenty ~

The moment was prompt and the emotion a bottomless impact, as the terror and disbelief untied into one inside the pit of Calvin's stomach. Without a word, he turned after her and quickly grasped for Lady Gades arm and yanked her backwards. The woman toppled over to his chest then her heel slipped stepping over the hem of her dark green dress. Only a loud thud was heard as she hit the floor before Calvin's feet. Lady Gades mouth opened in shock as she stared up at him, but he did not give her the satisfaction of replying at all, as he bent over picked her up on her feet and dragged her out the door.

"How dare you! Unhand me you brute!" she hissed. Her hands pounded down on the tight grip he held her in but Calvin did not budge rather pulled her down the large steps and towards the front door until both of them stood outside.

"Listen!" Calvin snapped suddenly. He shook her to make her stop pounding on him until finally she yanked away from him and adjusted her dress.

"How dare you, you despicable, horrid excuse for a man!" she snapped out.

"All can be explained, however, I need you to calm yourself in order for me to do so." Calvin said.

"What have you done to her, I demand to know." She sneered.

Her facial complexions resembled that of her daughter as Lady Gades crossed her arms over her chest and pressed her lips into a thin line.

"It's a bit of a long story, shall we take a walk." He offered.

"What has happened to my daughter, has she fallen ill?" she asked.

They began to fall into a steady pace as Calvin placed his hands behind his back and quietly observed the autumn leaves decorate the grass in bright and beautiful colors.

"Well?" she asked.

Calvin looked deep into Lady Gades eyes and said the words before he could think twice on it. "I am deeply in love with your daughter, Lady Gades."

Her silence made him impatient, turning his stomach upside down as he side glanced her way. She was lost in thought as her hands began to fiddle with a few silver buttons running down the front of her dress.

"How is it possible then that you treated her so wretchedly, is that your way of telling a young maiden you are in love with her. The day you took her from me on our way home...you showed no sign of compassion, you were a complete beast." She replied.

"I can assure you I was not myself; I've gone through a lifetime of emotions over the last two weeks." He confessed.

"If you are requesting that I give my daughter to you in marriage, you are clearly senile Master Potent. I am not certain my daughter will be safe under your watch, you love her, but in a dominating manner. I would hate to hear that you suddenly lost your temper and took it out on her." she snipped.

"I would never hurt Ettie." He quickly complied.

"No, this is my finally answer, I will not leave her at the hands of a man who is slowly driving himself crazy."

"You do not understand...please try to hear me out, listen to what I have to say before you answer." He replied.

***

Lady Gades approached the door once again, however this time Master Potent followed quietly behind her. She curved over her shoulder to look at him, feeling her chest squeezed as she reached for the knob and knocked. Lydia's voice came from the inner chamber and she drew in a deep breath before pushing the door open.

"Hello." She found herself saying.

"May I help you?" Lydia asked.

She sat surrounded by maids abetting her to dress. She wore a lovely satin light pink dress; her hair pinned and curled to look sophisticated.