Ettie

~Chapter One~

Ettie collected the laundry in her arms placing them into a large hamper. Master Potent had asked that his favorite bespoke black suit be placed to launder, which she had yet to get. The era for dyeing fabric a dissimilar shade had developed vastly in Theodosia. However, only the rich were able to go to a tailor to ask for such luxurious material. Ettie was not knowledgeable on this and neither cared; she simply admired the soft and silky texture of his clothing.

She never dared to think beyond what his clothes covered. Lord prevent her from pondering such carnal thoughts. Instead, she envied her Master for having the wealth to buy any material he desired. In the future, she wished to have money to flee Theodosia in search of something much superior. The rich dwelled and inhabited these great lands.

The poor were left to rot in the alleys and streets, never acknowledge by the higher class. The men turned into thieves, joining the growing gang of Mercenaries that wondered the woods to feed their starving families. It was well predicted what women had to become to stay alive. If it had not been for that fortunate day she met Lady Lydia in the market, Ettie was certain she would have labored for pitiless men. She inwardly quivered to think that her existence might have ended if it had not been for Master Potent's wife.

Although Lady Lydia's husband was a cold and cruel Master, Ettie felt privileged to live as a servant in his mansion. As the Master's hard stare slithered into her thought's Ettie felt a small jolt of fear quiver in the center of her chest. Closing the door gradually she hurried in her footsteps to reach the first floor as she ascended from the laundry room. She used her left hip to hold the hamper in place as she walked through the hall, past the door, and into the foyer. Ettie averted her gaze as the chilling presence of Mrs. Sally, the head mistress, suddenly entered the large spherical hall. She felt her cheeks blush as she averted her gaze and quickly walked past her towards the bowed stairs.

Please ignore my presence just this once, Ettie thought.

"I would like to acknowledge that what you hold in your arms is the last of Master Potent's clothes," Mrs. Sally said aloud.

Squeezing her eyes tight, Ettie gripped hard on the hamper cursing her luck. She hesitated mid step and forced her feet to turn to where Mrs. Sally stood. Her eyes locked on the old woman's brown leather high button boots, slowly trailing them upwards. She wore a dominating black dress, buttoned up to her neck, covering every inch of her pasty white skin. Ettie feared to gaze into her fading grey eyes. Her eyes held such a frightening aura, it always made Ettie think Mrs. Sally could see into her soul.

"Henrietta!"

Ettie flinched at the sharp tone of Mrs. Sally's voice, making her heart give a twinge. She fought to find her tongue to form a reply that would satisfy Mrs. Sally, but found it difficult to talk.

"I swear girl, every day your mind seems to drift father and father away. Get your head out of the clouds and into your work, and when I am talking to you pay attention," she hissed.

"Yes, ma'am, I understand," Ettie managed to mutter.

Mrs. Sally stared down at Ettie for a moment longer, her hard and brooding stare burning a hole into Ettie's' reddened face. With a scoff and her nose to the air, the old woman marched on to her duties. Ettie felt her grip loosen on the hamper, and her shoulders obeyed her command to stand down. All she desired now was to forget the awful words Mrs. Sally had said. Swallowing her anger Ettie reminded herself that Mrs. Sally was not to blame for the strict mood she often carried as a burden.

To be in control of Potent Keeps maintenance would put anyone on edge, especially if you served the cruelest of all men in Theodosia. Her anger suddenly vanished and the weight of feeling a grudge lifted from her shoulders. Henrietta trudged up the elegant marbled steps, straight towards Master Potent's chambers.