17/27

“She’s okay too, thank goodness!” Y/N let out a relieved sigh when Carol made her way to the infirmary, and the knot of worry that had been tying Daryl’s stomach thinking about his friend finally released.

Both he and Y/N went to greet her, and Daryl hugged her before Carol could say any world. She didn’t struggle, hugging him back, but when Daryl looked at her face, he thought something was off. Everyone had gone through something today, but still…

“You’re okay!” Y/N said as she hugged her too.

“Yeah, I’m glad to see you too.”

“Because you saved me! And then Daryl, he saved me too, helped me find Jane…”

“Nah, ain’t true, I didn’t save her, she was putting down walkers herself.” Daryl couldn’t help his proud smirk as he looked at Y/N, and Carol’s lip curled into a half-smile that was gone as fast as it had come.

“She’s a good teacher,” Y/N smiled. “But I still have a lot to learn.” Daryl didn’t say anything, studying Carol, he still thought something was off, but he didn’t know what, and he frowned. Y/N seemed to notice. “I’m going to go back and check on Robert and the girls, they need it.”

Daryl nodded, squeezing her hand before letting her go, and then he looked at Carol, trying to read her. “Thank you for training Y/N, you saved her in more than one way.”

“It was nothing.”

“It wasn’t…are you okay?”

“Of course I am.”

“Carol…” He began, but Carol silenced him with a look. “Alright…”

“Come on, go with Y/N, she needs you.”

“Nah…nah, I ain’t gonna leave you when you ain’t-”

“Daryl, I told you I’m okay,” she snapped and he didn’t believe her, but he didn’t know what to do. “Go.”

“We’ll talk later…” With a last worried glanced at Carol, he went back to Y/N, by now he knew there was no point in talking to Carol when she was like that. He’d try again later.

“It’s everything okay?” Y/N asked him, caressing his arm softly, careful not to touch the gauze, when she noticed the way in which he was looking at Carol.

“I don’t know…” He didn’t want to worry Y/N more, though. “How are they doing?” He nodded towards Robert and the kids, and Y/N let out a sigh.

“Like you might expect.”

“I’m sorry…”

“I am too, but you know it’s not your fault, yeah?” Y/N said softly and Daryl guessed she was right, and yet, he still always felt like he could have done more.

“You know it ain’t yours either, right?” He asked, just in case.

“I…I left Rachel alone with the kids…she tried to protect them…”

“Hey,” Daryl cupped Y/N’s face so she’d look at him. “You didn’t know what was going to happen. Stop it. Don’t go thinking that.”

Y/N bit her lip and nodded, and Daryl wished he could make sure she wasn’t blaming herself at all. She nuzzled into his hand before taking it and kissing his knuckles, sending twirls to Daryl’s stomach, and then she wrapped his arm around her again, leaning into him.

Rick finally walked out of the infirmary and Daryl held his breath, waiting for the news. “He’s unconscious…it’s still too soon to tell, but it looks like he might pull through, but he has to wake up…” It wasn’t the best news, but it could have been way worse, and Daryl felt Y/N’s hand squeezing his.