9/27

Daryl wasn't sure of how long he had been working on that bike, several hours had passed since Eric brought him breakfast, but he hadn't realized it, focused on the bike that was taking form. Then, a tiny voice brought him back to the real world.

"Hi, Daryl!"

He looked up and found Jane standing outside the garage door. "Hi s-" He bit his tonge, embarrassed, when he was about to call her sunshine again, where in the hell was that coming from all the time. "What're you doing here?" He looked around but couldn't see Y/N anywhere.

"Came to see you," she shrugged, walking into the garage to stand next to him, inspecting the bike.

"Does your mum know that you're here?" He asked, suspicious.

"Not exactly here, but she knows I'm outside playing." Jane shrugged.

Daryl had seen kids playing at Alexandria's green areas and gardens, and sure, the place seemed safe enough with those walls, but still, it made him feel a bit uneasy to see them alone and knowing they didn't know how to protect themselves. They had thought they were safe at the prison, let their kids play at the yards, and then they had been attacked, their safe home gone, and most of their kids gone too...and their kids had known how to protect themselves, fight even, not like the ones in Alexandria...

"It looks like a bike now," Jane said, taking him out of his dreadful thoughts.

He hummed a yes, the bike was almost put together by now, tomorrow he'll work on getting it started, test it, and hopefully in a couple of days he could be riding outside Alexandria. "I'm gonna take you back home."

"What, no!" Jane frowned at him. "Told you, mum knows I'm out! It's early and I don't have to be home yet."

Daryl looked at her, chewing on his thumb. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know if Y/N really let Jane roam around Alexandria alone and he was worried thinking she might be worried and looking for her kid...but he also didn't think Jane was lying. Still, he decided to take the kid back home, he didn't like that Y/N didn't know where she was.

Before he could drag her home, though, another girl walked into the garage. She was older, thirteen or so, and he was walking hand in hand with a younger girl who Daryl recognized as Dawn, Jane's neighbor and Nora's kid. She seemed shy, half-hidden behind the older girl, who must be her sister Lisa, then.

"There you are!" The older kid huffed. "I was supposed to watch over you both and you just disappeared!"

"I told Dawn where I was going!"

"You told her you were going to Aaron's, but you're here with this stranger." Lisa eyed him suspiciously and Daryl thought she liked that kid, she didn't seem one to trust blindly like most of those Alexandrians. They might trust his family, but him...not that much, though...he knew how he looked, what those people thought. The kid had reasons to look at him like that, and it was good to be suspicious in that world. "Come on, we're leaving."

"He's not a stranger! He's Daryl and he was my mom's best friend, and it's okay that I'm here with him. I'm not leaving."

"Yes, you are, I am the one looking after you, so come on."

"I'm not! Daryl, tell her! Tell her it's true!" Jane looked at him with begging eyes and Daryl couldn't resist.

"Yeah, it's true, I'm Y/N's friends, it's okay. She can stay if she wants, ain't not a bother."

Lisa didn't seem very impressed. "Look, I know Deanna has taken you all in and you're one of us now. Welcome and all that, but I'm not leaving Jane with a guy that I don't know." Daryl smirked at that...yeah, he thought he liked that kid.