12/27

Daryl found himself once again sitting down on Y/N's sofa while she made that tea thing in the kitchen. She'd said she was going to make them some, and Daryl'd once again not said that he didn't want it. But if it made Y/N feel better somehow, then it was good.

"There you go." Y/N walked back into the living room, passing him a cup before sitting down on the sofa with her own cup, next to him. There was silence between them for while, Y/N sipping her tea while Daryl just fidgeted with the cup, until she spoke again.

"I can't believe Reg's dead...damn...poor Deanna..." Y/N whispered and Daryl didn't know what to tell her, he couldn't even look at her. "I can't believe Pete'd do something like that, kill someone...it was an accident, but he was going for Rick..."

Daryl was sure Pete had it coming, even if he didn't know why, but he still didn't like that Y/N had had to see Rick, one of his family, murdering one of her people. "Look...Rick...he's a good guy, alright? He doesn't go around murdering people..." Well, technically he did, didn't they all? "Not people that don't deserve it. That guy...I'm sure he was a threat...you don't have to be scared of Rick or nothing..." The idea of Y/N being scared of his family made him feel uneasy...she'd been his family once, too...

"Yeah...yeah, Pete was an asshole. He was always putting up the good doctor act, but..." Y/N scoffed. "I knew how he was. Rick? He seems dangerous. I told you that first day, you all seem dangerous...but I trust you, and so I trust your friends." Y/N shrugged and her words made Daryl feel all weird. "Pete was going to kill Rick...I mean, Rick beat the shit out of him, but still...Pete seemed quite out of himself, so I guess Rick did...what he had to do..." Y/N's voice wavered and Daryl fought the urge to reach for her. "I just wish we could have done something else like...I don't know, lock him or something..."

Daryl wasn't sure of what to think of that. He pretty much was sure that the world didn't work like that anymore. In most cases, it was to kill or get killed, with dangerous people who wanted to take your stuff and kill you for it, or just to kill you for the shake of it. This new world seemed to bring out people's true nature. It didn't mean he was okay with it. But he didn't want to say all that to Y/N.

"What you mean by asshole?" He asked instead, and Y/N laid back on her seat with a sigh.

"Well...He seemed like this good guy, fooled some people, but I don't think I'm the only one thinking something was off with him. Still, the policy seemed to be that it wasn't our business. Anyway...I can't swear that he beat his wife, but...let's say I won't be surprised to find out he did...and I don't think he was very nice to her..." Daryl felt anger rising inside him at that, and now he was glad the prick was dead. "I guess I've known my fair share of awful guys to know one when I see him..."

That made Daryl wonder if she was talking about her time at the club, or if there'd been more awful guys at the city...that made him wonder...no, he wouldn't dare to bring that up, he couldn't, wasn't his place...and yet, he couldn't stop thinking...

"Say it," Y/N spoke up, startling him out of his thoughts.

"What?"

"You want to say something."

Daryl blushed, wondering how she knew. "I don't wanna say nothing."

"You do." Y/N chuckled. "Come on, Daryl...just say it, what's wrong?"

He chewed on his thumbnail, thinking about how to word it. "Jane...Jane's father...was he...he was an asshole too? Like Pete? That's why you ain't with him anymore?" As soon as he blurted it out, Daryl looked at Y/N nervously, wondering if he'd upset her or made her angry. He wasn't sure, but she didn't look upset or angry...she just looked tired, and she bit her lip before answering.