Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Not really." Alex wiped her mouth with a napkin. "But, now that Lena's here, I have to ask if you know anything at all. You know her better than us."

"Yeah, anything could help." Kara agreed.

"I barely know a fraction of her plan." Lena said. "I just know that Lex and Lillian had planned to invade America and rebuild an entire society by enslaving everyone with the robots they asked me to make. But you knew that already."

"Wait, how could she use the robots to do that? It'd have to be programmed in or something." Alex asked.

Lena nodded, a wave of guiltiness washed over her. "I had programmed it so it connected to a headset. The headset reads the brain waves and brain activity and the robots can do anything that is commanded."

Kara sensed her discomfort and reached over to rub her shoulder. "It's going to be fine."

"Maybe." Lena was thankful for Kara's support but she hesitated. "It still would be my fault if she succeeds."

"Hey, don't say that. Lillian's choices aren't yours. You made the robots, sure, but Lillian chose to use it." Alex said sternly. "Don't ever blame yourself."

"She's right." Kara raised her eyebrows and gave her a signature smile.

Lena patted Kara's hand and turned to smile back. She blushed when she realized Alex was staring at them and she got up from her seat.

"I have some work to do back at my lab. I need to further analyze the device they found in Sam's eyes, see how my brother made it. I don't know why Lillian would need it if she's planning to use the robots but..." Lena cleared her throat. "Call if you need anything."

Kara bit back a disappointed sigh and her eyes followed Lena's every movement until she closed the apartment door behind her.

"Kara." Alex's eyes were on her. "What in the world was that?"

Kara's eyes shot up to look at her sister and her face flushed red. "What was what?"

"Don't play dumb." Alex shook her head. "Why was Lena here so early? And why was she wearing your college sweatshirt and those terribly short shorts? The same shorts you said you wouldn't wear, even to the beach? I saw more than I bargained for, Kara."

"Alex, what are you implying?" Kara giggled nervously, trying to appear oblivious.

"Wait, did she sleep here overnight?" Alex gasped loudly at the realization.

"That's ridiculous!" Kara blushed even harder. "She needed a fresh change of clothes after being out in the rain last night."

Alex rolled her eyes. "She did sleep here, then."

Kara sighed. "She just happened to fall asleep here."

Alex looked around the apartment. "Your bed clearly shows that two people had been sleeping on it."

Kara followed her pointed finger and held back another awkward giggle. Alex was right. The blanket was gathered right in the middle of the queen-sized bed and it looked like it had been bunched up from both sides.

"Fine!" Kara threw her hands up in the air in defeat. "We stayed on opposite sides the whole night. We're friends."

Alex groaned in disbelief when Kara shrugged casually, acting as if she didn't just lie to her.

"Okay, fine. Maybe we didn't stay on opposite sides the whole night." Kara admitted.

Alex raised her eyebrows and gasped again. "Oh my god, did you guys-"