Chapter 62: Changes

Start from the beginning

"Are you nervous about going back to Japan?" Mateo asked Mizuki curiously.

"Nope..." She lied, smiling faintly.

Obviously she was nervous.

Mizuki only went back to Japan during Christmas break, and when she did, she did everything in her power to avoid Kei. After all, she nearly erupted in tears every time his name was even mentioned. As a result, her mother and her brother often visited her in Brazil during spring break, summer break, and any other holidays. Additionally, Mizuki, Rina, and Mina alternated who was visiting where (Brazil, America, or Japan) each year.

"Are you sure?" He intertwined his warm hand with hers comfortingly.

"Yeah... I'm just not looking forward to travelling for a day and a half..." She explained as she swallowed apprehensively.

"Don't worry! I'll make sure we get there safely." Mateo kissed her cheek affectionately.

She smiled at him as the two lined up at the airport terminal. They were on their way to Japan, and she couldn't help but feel restless. Still, being with Mateo eased her anxieties and troubles.

Mizuki, during her first year of university, felt so lonely and heartbroken even though she was constantly surrounded by new friends and her supportive teammates. She refrained from dating for a whole year and a half as she hadn't moved on from Kei. Even though her roommates and friends urged for her to go drinking and partying with them in clubs, she stayed home, watching movies, TV shows, and anime. During these somber times, Mateo was there for her. He comforted her, staying by her side, as he helped her adjust to life in Brazil. He was always there, and eventually, Mizuki recognized that he cared for her. She decided to give him a chance and after a few dates, they started officially dating.

After a few hours of waiting by their gate, they boarded the plane. They placed their luggages up in the compartment and sat down on their assigned seats. She rested her head on Mateo's shoulder as he embraced her reassuringly.

"Get some sleep..." He murmured tenderly.

"Okay..."

~

The day of the MSBY Jackals vs Schweiden Adlers match

Kei and Yamaguchi were picking up Yachi early in the morning on the way to Kamei Sendai Arena, where the match was going to take place. Unfortunately, Hayashi couldn't watch the match as she was stuck at work.

"Are you nervous?" Yamaguchi asked nonchalantly.

"About?" Kei raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Seeing Toma-san again." He chimed in casually.

"Why would I be nervous?" Kei rolled his eyes as he watched the pedestrians cross from inside his car.

"Because you haven't seen or talked to her much in the last three years..." Yamaguchi explained, "And because she'll be with her boyfriend-"

"I'll be fine." He insisted.

If Kei was being honest, he was terrified of reuniting with Mizuki. This was different from when they first reunited in Karasuno High. They were just friends then - they didn't have a complicated past unlike now.

"Remember when I gave you the letter she wrote for you?" Yamaguchi pursed his lips together.

"Yeah..."

"If you don't mind me asking, what did it say?" He inquired gently.

"Stuff..." Kei shrugged as they arrived at Yachi's house.