Chapter 43: Mistletoe

Chapter 43:

December 25th, Christmas Day

A few days ago, Mizuki's friends, Rina and Mina left Japan to spend Christmas with their father and extended family in America. They were going to be back on December 29th just in time for their New Years (and late Christmas) party.

Mizuki woke up early to help her mother prepare food and drinks for their guests. Her grandparents (on both sides), her uncle and his wife, and her cousins were spending the day at their house. Ushijima's family and Kei's family were briefly going to stop by as well.

As she was placing some last minute decorations on the tree, her family had begun arriving. She greeted them enthusiastically.

"There's my favorite cousin!" Her cousin, Fujiwara Mei, beamed excitedly.

"Hi Mei!" Mizuki grinned, hugging her tightly.

Because Mei's family lived in the Saitama prefecture, they hardly got to see each other in person except during the holidays.

"So, I heard from Auntie Akira that you have a boyfriend," She teased, "Is he cute? Where is he?"

"Stop!" Mizuki laughed warmly, "His name is Tsukishima Kei, and he is very, very cute. He's at home right now but he'll be coming by later before he goes to his grandparents' house."

"Wait... The same Tsukishima that gave you that T-Rex necklace?" Mei wriggled her eyebrows, "Isn't that just friends to lovers excellence?"

"Shut up!"

As the morning passed, Ushijima's family stopped by to drop off gifts and to chat briefly.

"Where is Tsukishima Kei?" Ushijima asked, scanning around the room, "I would like a word with him."

"He's not here yet!" Mizuki shook her head, clearly amused.

"Ushijima-san," Mei chimed in, "Big fan. Can you tell me why you're so hot?"

Ushijima raised an eyebrow, confused by her question.

"I do not understand what you mean. It is cold outside, therefore I am wearing a sweater. I am not hot at the slightest." He explained in a serious manner.

Mizuki stifled her laughter as Mei stood there in complete shock and disbelief. Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Mizuki exclaimed giddily.

She opened the door to find Kei, Akiteru, and their mother standing outside with gifts.

"Hey prin-"

"Hi Mizuki-chan!" Akiteru interrupted cheerfully.

Kei stared at his brother, clearly irritated.

"Hi Tsukishima-kun!" She smiled, urging for them to come in.

"Toma-chan, you have a lovely home." Kei's mother smiled affectionately.

"Thank you," She beamed, turning around to call her mom, "Mom! Kei and his family are here!"

As soon as her mother scurried over to welcome Kei's mother, Kei pulled her aside.

"Merry Christmas, princess." He smiled, handing his gift bag to her.

"Can I open it now?" She asked excitedly.

"Of course."

Mizuki maneuvered through the white wrapping paper to find a large, leather scrapbook with the title in cursive writing "For my princess" drawn on it.