Nineteen

"3! 2! 1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" The ball dropped and the celebrations began.

New York at midnight was a sight to behold, especially from this staggering height. The stars danced in the skies alongside the fireworks creating myriad of colours. A sharp pain in my chest that became a dull ache after hearing Maira's happy giggles; it was all worth it in the end. It will take time to truly recover from the loss, but creating new memories for her would soon make it all the worthwhile.

I jumped suddenly feeling warmth behind me and strong arms wrapped around me just as the fireworks started dancing above us. "Happy new year, princezna." He whispered against my ear. I blushed, trying to escape his embrace since we were not alone but he didn't seem to care and from the looks of it, no one else did either. We were on the rooftop of the Avengers tower as it apparently had the best view of the firework display. And the best view indeed, it was absolutely amazing—not better than the London fireworks though. And it kind of felt weird being here amongst these actual superheroes even though it was not my first time, but that feeling of knowing didn't ease either.

I turned around in his embrace to face him and whispered a small "happy new year" to which he just smiled. A dazzling smile, one that was brighter than the fireworks all around us. He moved his hand to touch the side of my face, tilting it slightly as he leaned in closer. Sometimes he was so gentle and sweet with me, like the sweetest person I'd ever known, and sometimes he was the complete opposite that would drive me to the edge of insanity. It was weird feeling like this about him but I think I was starting to get used to it, used to his way of showing affection. He had a way of making me feel like I was the only person that was deserving of his unconditional attention. I'm pretty sure he was aware of how he affected the ladies, because I sure as hell could tell whenever we would go out. But he didn't seem to be bothered by the way people stared at him in awe. Who knows, he could be checking out everyone, given his speed and all. It wasn't jealousy, it couldn't possibly be jealousy. I was just..doubtful, a little self conscious even. Pietro was gorgeous and way out of my league, I wasn't an idiot to not notice that. Sometimes I wondered if this was a dream and that one day he'll realise I wasn't worth the effort. 

"Earth to Charlie." I jumped at his voice, lips dangerously close to my own. He tilted his head to the side, studying me closely. God, I hope I didn't make my emotions too obvious. "What were you thinking about?" He asked, fingers trailing down my face leaving a trail of goosebumps behind. New York was ruthless during winter but his touch was unmatched.

"I..nothing. Just thinking about how much I like your unique hair colour." I squeaked, touching his warm chest nervously. He was so warm, like my personal heater, I couldn't help leaning into him for warmth. His eyes held a hint of amusement and I could tell he wasn't convinced. "Hm, just my hair?"

No. Not just the hair. But I couldn't say anything else without looking vulnerable or worse—desperate. "I..I like your eyes too. They're s..so blue and ocean-y..? Ocean like..the sea." Oh my god..please stop talking I beg you. I couldn't help the heat creeping onto my cheeks.

I could tell he was trying not to outright laugh at me, the key word being trying, but the subtle shake of his shoulders told me otherwise. I pursed my lips in an effort to avoid embarrassing myself further. "I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that what you're trying to say is, you like me. Am I wrong?"

His question left me in a daze of confusion and..apprehension. While it was true that I liked him, I was also afraid that maybe it had gone beyond just infatuation. I've never been the one to open up to anyone this easily, the fear of letting someone get close to me was too much. But with Pietro, it felt different. Like it was meant to be. And while I was sure that it was more than just liking him, I decided not to tell him just yet.