Eighteen

Christmas came and went, New Year's Eve was just around the corner—our first time celebrating both in another country. Back in England, our parents would drive us up to London every year and we would watch the fireworks go off at exactly 12AM. We didn't celebrate Christmas but we enjoyed this occasion that soon followed. It was always the fireworks that made me happy, until they no longer did. Their anniversary was just around the corner. I tried to remember the promise I made to myself that we would at least try to celebrate this year, remind Maira of the little things we did as a family. But it was just so damn hard. Surely if we missed this one year, it wouldn't matter—she wouldn't remember it anyway, right?

I sighed, my mind wandering through that dark memory lane until a knock on my door interrupted me. Thea popped her head through the door, smiling as she saw me. I knew how much it was affecting her too, I could see through that smile. "Hey, are you free?" She asked me, stepping inside fully. I sighed, sitting up straight.

"Come on Charles, we can do this. Besides, I got Maira pretty excited over it and she's going to love it!" She laughed. "I really don't think it's a good idea, fireworks and all.." I mumbled, scratching my head in doubt. Thea rolled her eyes, snorting childishly. "If she can survive a robot taking us for a ride around the city, I'm pretty sure she can handle this."

Well, she had a point there but I wasn't sure if I agreed with it though. I was reluctant, feeling rather protective about the ordeal. I shook my head indicating my refusal and Thea sighed in defeat, sitting down on the edge of my bed gingerly. After a moment of silence, she spoke. "What if I told you that I know someone who can..um, create a protective bubble around her and keep her safe?"

The air was stifling all of a sudden. I narrowed my eyes on her fidgeting frame, trying to make sense of what she had just said until it clicked. "Thea, have you been harassing the people over at the A tower?" I questioned, leaning closer as she cowered away. Please say no..please say no.

"Yes.."

"Thea!" I yelled, grabbing a fistful of my hair in frustration.

"I swear to god, you drive me mad!" I groaned, trying not to bury my head under the pillow. "Who did you annoy this time?" 

"Actually..." she trailed off. I knew that tone well, it was the one she would use to get us into trouble with Mum and Dad. I looked at her in urgency before she blurted out. "She's here right now so you can find out yourself." I honestly wanted to cry in that moment, this was far too embarrassing for me. I couldn't believe this was happening and the worst part was, I knew exactly who she was talking about. Wanda Maximoff, Pietro's twin sister. The beautiful, charismatic and slightly intimidating Wanda Maximoff. "Thea, move before I murder you or worse." I hissed. She backed away slowly, a small smirk plastered on her face as I brushed past her and into the living room with unsteady steps.

The sight to greet me nearly made me want to stop and stare. Wanda was absolutely beautiful, so breathtakingly beautiful that it hurt to look at her. In her dainty arms was my baby sister, curled up and cooing like she belonged there. She met my nervous gaze and a heart warming smile danced across her lips that left me speechless. To be honest, she made me really nervous too. Not in the way he did, but more of a 'I need her approval' type of nervousness would bubble under my skin whenever I'd see her. Which was crazy because I have never felt this way before about anyone. I was going through a lot firsts, that was for sure. "Wanda..Hi.." I almost stuttered, voice shaking like my limbs. I just wanted to apologise to her for this inconvenience my sister caused her but my awkward ass had other plans.

Before she could say anything, I decided to run my mouth like a motor whenever I got really nervous. "I'm so so sorry!" I squeaked, pacing back and forth to shake the jittery feeling in my limbs. "So very sorry about this, I don't know what Thea was thinking when she asked you for something so trivial! Again I'm so sorry about this and honestly I'll totally understand if you—" my long, embarrassing rant died down in an instant as I felt a warm hand wrap itself over my mouth and chin, simultaneously shutting and immobilising me. My heartbeat thundered against my rib cage. Screw this boy for turning up in my weakest moments! 

"You talk too much, princezna." His husky voice against my ear caused an involuntary shiver all over my body as I stood there frozen in my spot. His other hand trailed dangerously over my waist and jumped at the contact of his fingers over the exposed skin. I tried to get his hands off my face and waist but it felt like I was trying to move a brick wall. I mumbled against his hand to let me go but he paid no heed, I didn't want his sister to see me like this. 

"Pietro, stop teasing her and let her go." Wanda spoke sternly, although her face held nothing but amusement. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole at this point, he was embarrassing me in front of his sister. I wanted to punch him and yell profanities. The two were eerily similar in their attitudes, although Wanda was more muted than her crazy brother, it was surprising no one else saw it that way. But then again, I doubt they thought the same way about themselves either despite being twins and probably having telepathic abilities twins tend to have. Pietro was older by, and I quote, 'approximately 12 minutes which also happened to be the best 12 minutes of my life'. I had laughed so hard when he'd said that, he always made me laugh—but right now he was doing the opposite. "My, my..look at you all quiet and docile for once." Thea snickered, slumping on the sofa without a care in the world. I glared at her, heat crawling over my skin.

"Promise you won't ramble on if I let you go?" Pietro teased, pulling me flush against his taut chest. I nodded frantically, anything to get away from his suffocating proximity. His response was a deep chuckle before he let go. I turned around to look at him, ready to bite his head off, and my breathing hitched. He was so beautiful, it actually hurt. Dressed in a casual attire, his silver locks sat messily on his head and forehead, making him look so young. His piercing blue eyes held that intense look that always, without a fail, made me blush like an idiotic teenager. I'll never get used to the intensity in his eyes every time he looks at me. He smirked, knowing he'd left me speechless as always. Damn him.

"It's no big deal, Charlie. Besides, Pietro and I could use a little bit of..normal stuff." Wanda's soft voice broke the little trance I was in and I quickly turned around to face her instead. She was one of those people who couldn't hide their emotions, heart on their sleeves and eyes full of tragic stories that made you weep. She looked so fragile and vulnerable, I wanted to help her. I did genuinely feel bad for her and the things she and Pietro had to go through whilst growing up. It's not normal to have the kind of superpowers that they have, and certainly not in the way they received them either. They were so young and had their whole lives ahead of them before it was taken away. I couldn't imagine what they must have felt during their difficult journey but I was glad they had each other through it all. Just like I had Thea with me to get through many difficult moments in life.

In the little time that I had known Pietro and Wanda, I had come to one solid conclusion. I liked them. Wanda was so soft spoken and polite. She was naturally caring, patient and just had this warmth surrounding her like a halo. And Pietro, well, he was the complete opposite of Wanda. Okay, not exactly polar opposite but still, he was short tempered and impatient from what I had noticed. But, he was also really sweet and great with Maira, something that tugged at my heart in a weird way. There was something about him that constantly pulled me towards him like a magnet. And I'm not going to lie, I was starting to not feel scared about it either.

"Mind if I steal your sister for a little while?" Pietro asked, looking at Thea.
"Ugh, fine but bring her back fully clothed this time!"

"Thea!" My screams died with me and I found myself dangling in his arms like a doll. "You and Thea are like the devil's spawn!" I cried, punching his chest while he chuckled. I punched him harder but he didn't seem to be affected by it. "You are so cute when you get all angry." He winked, grinning. 

"And you won't like it when I get really angry!" I grunt, punching his brick of a chest over and over until he had enough and pinned my arms behind my back. "God, you're so hot when you're all worked up." The devil. The devil!

He knew exactly what to say that would make me shut up.