Five

Charlie

Two weeks. That is how long I had been cooped up in this very nice, but suffocating, room that smelled like medicine. Even though I spent most of the time sleeping or in a drug induced state and couldn't complain much, I still felt suffocated. But time had flown by in a blur, I was grateful—the longer I stayed alone with my thoughts, I don't even know what I would do. My limbs had almost healed, just enough to move around without the throbbing pain that would follow. What wasn't healing fast enough was my broken arm and the shattered ribs. They hurt so much whenever I was low on sedatives, sometimes breathing would become difficult. I was pretty much bed ridden unless I needed to use the bathroom, which was so tedious and time consuming considering I had wires hooked to both of my arms like strings. I was grateful for the privacy the room provided, a long curtain hung between the entrance room and the automatic door right next to it which was see through—but I could still through whenever I would leave my bed. The whole ordeal was very new and kind of scary to me, I never injured myself badly enough to actually land in a hospital. Maybe once or twice I might have needed to go and didn't. Other than that one trip to the ER.. 

Technically this wasn't a hospital but rather the house of literal celebrities. I didn't know how else to put it, they were too famous to be considered anything less. Speaking of celebrities and superheroes, the last few days had been a joyride. I may have been hallucinating but something told me that they were actually real. For example, just the other day I came across a charming young lady called Agent Hill. It wasn't exactly a face to face interaction but rather a glass to glass, sort of interaction. I vaguely saw Dr.Cho bandage her arm before placing it under the scanner-like machine. I could hear the conversations too even though they were in the other room but decided not to eavesdrop like a loon. I was never one to snoop around in other people's business, just kept to my own. What left me curious, however, was a particular someone who happened to land into that room in front of me more often than others. Every time I would leave the sanctuary of my bed, I'd see him. Maximoff, I believe was his name. He would always arrive with minor cuts and bruises on his face. It was quite amusing seeing him get scolded every single time by the doctor for wasting his or her time by calling his injuries serious. I guess he was naturally a trouble maker after all. 

"Earth to Charlie!"

I was reeled back to my reality of staring down at the cards held in between my hands, unsure of what was going on. Boredom arrived fairly quickly which resulted in a family attempting to play cards after a failed game of chess, Cluedo and tic-tac toe. The said family consisted of me, Thea and tiny little Maira who was merely there for a boost of serotonin. The lack of instructions piled on top of that resulted in us merely attempting a set of random games to pass the time. We were never good at this, not really. The only game I could recall playing well was Ludo, I rather enjoyed that game. Thea never cared for it and it takes two or more to play so until Maira grows up, I would just have to wait. "I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, do I throw in these as a bargaining chip or something? Wait, what were we playing again?"

We were really bad at this, and bored out of our wits. There was no money being gambled but rather the sugary goodness that was American candy. Most of which were being consumed by Maira prior to the games. She was having a hard time in doing so because of her lack of teeth, she was teething though. It was amusing seeing her try the sugary and savoury stuff, like a curious kitten. Thank the heavens the social workers from back home weren't watching this right now or else I would have been reprimanded for endangering a child with unhealthy food. What can I say, it was a family thing—whatever was left of it. I sighed in defeat, throwing the cards onto the bed moments before Maira crawled beside me, sticking her chocolate covered hands down onto my hospital gown. "Monopoly seemed so hard up until now." I muttered.