Platform 9 3/4

The pleasant days in her dads quaint townhouse had passed seamlessly. Julia had only two nights separating her from the dreaded first day of school.

Hermione had left the day before to go shopping for school supplies in some alley. Julia had overhead Mione's parents talking about going there, but she couldn't exactly catch the name. Dragon alley was it?Julia had never heard of a dragon alley before, then again she wasn't very keen on alleys to begin with.

  Without Hermione to keep her company, Julia had sank into a bog of boredom. She sat in her empty room fiddling with a deck of cards which she didn't know how to play with. There was a thick layer of dust on the book shelf to her right, indicating how long her room had been left unattended and vacant. Come to think of it, dust flew around her entire room like a snowstorm, catching the light beams creeping in through her window. Despite this, it felt warm and comforting. The entire house smelled of elk and wood. Hints of mowed grass entered from the lawn out front.

She had much preferred the scent of the candle she usually lit in her room on Privet Drive, but this was far more natural and calming of an aroma.

  Julia felt very lonely. Her dad was in the room adjacent to her, yet somehow the feeling of isolation constantly seemed to leach onto her.

At least at her boarding school she wouldn't be alone. There would be countless girls her age. She caught herself wishing for the 1st of September to hurry up its arrival.

~~~~

  Time decided to take its bloody time to pass, but slowly and steadily the day came. Julia and her father were inside of his vintage convertible driving to King's Cross Station. She had hoped that she'd get the chance to see Hermione at the station to say goodbye.

Julia hadn't got the chance to talk to her that much since that stupid sketchy letter incident. She knew Hermione would be at King's Cross, but her best friend had conveniently dodged all  questions regarding which platform she would be awaiting her ride at.

~~~~

  The James family had arrived at the 8th platform just on time. Before their eyes stood a large locomotive which would be taking Julia away to pursue her higher education.

A worker helped Julia with her luggage and finally she was all prepared. She walked towards her father and gave him a big tight hug. After letting go, she waved her tiny hand in his direction even as he turned to walk away.

  Just as Julia was about to board the express she saw a little figure with frizzy hair pass her, pushing along a cart filled with boxes and books.

"HERMIONE!!!!" Julia called out excitedly.

She jumped at the fact that she had an opportunity to see her friend one more time before leaving the city. However, her voice didn't seem to capture Hermione's attention. The little girl continued in the direction of the 9th platform.

  Julia looked around. The train wouldn't be leaving for another 10 minutes. It wouldn't be too risky to go after her friend. So, Julia dashed after Hermione desperately trying to get her attention, but to no avail.

  Suddenly, it was no longer Julia capturing the attention of Hermione but rather the other way around. James stood awestruck at what she had just witnessed. Hermione, as though it were air, had just walked right through a brick wall in between platform 9 and 10.

  Julia backed up in shock and stood there jaw on the floor. A vaguely familiar voice echoed in her ears. "Excuse me sir, can you tell me where I might find platform 9 3/4?"

She looked behind her shoulder to find the boy from next door asking some man for help. It was Harry Porter, the boy to whom the letter she found had been addressed to.

"How silly," Julia thought, "There is no such thing..."

"PLATFORM 9 3/4 THIS WAY!" a piercing voice interrupted her thinking.