Chapter 15

Katy's POV
I walked out of Miss Jackson's room with my head down, avoiding her gaze at all costs. I wasn't going to the bathroom, I just needed to get out of that room.

I wandered round the empty hallways when an alarm began to blare. The few people left in the school hurried out of their rooms.

We were all ushered out only the field quickly. The alarm was so bad it made my head hurt.

I just couldn't figure out why they chose to do a fire drill after school when there was barely anyone here. Unless it wasn't a fire drill. But then where was Juliet?

I rose onto my tiptoes and scanned the field for her blonde head but she was no where to be seen. I had no idea what I was doing but my legs just started running, people were yelling at me to come back but I needed to find her. I saw black smoke filling the corridor and the panic rose in my mind. This was no drill.

I frantically tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge. The door to another classroom was open so I ran in and grabbed a chair. Using all of my strength I hurled the chair at Juliets classroom door, causing the handle to buckle and the door swung open.

"Juliet" my yell only came out as a whisper as I just about saw her body slumped on the floor amongst the thick black smoke. The flames were making their way towards us across her classroom, almost daring.

I picked up her limp body and her head rolled back lifelessly.

"No" I whispered, pulling her head back up towards me. I screamed for help at the top of my lungs but no one could hear me over the blaring alarm.

Thank god she was short, I scooped her up and ran towards the door and out onto the field, my red raw throat still burning as I continued to scream for help.

I couldn't lose her...

☆ ☆ ☆

I looked down at Juliets pale hand in mine, gently rubbing my thumb along her soft skin. The beep of the hospital monitor was becoming almost mocking now, ingrained in my brain after 3 weeks of constant beeping.

She looked so peaceful.

Her hair was limp on her pillow, her face pale, her body lifeless and limp. But she looked at peace.

"I'm so sorry Juliet" I sobbed "I'm so so sorry if it wasn't for me this wouldn't have happened, you don't deserve this, I was being childish and stupid because I liked you and I wanted you to like me back and of course you didn't you're my teacher but I just really really liked you" my hands began to tremble as I watched her beautiful sleeping face

"I love you Juliet"

I watched her eyes flicker.

I half expected some big movie moment where she opens her her beautiful ocean blue eyes and smiled at me, and tells me she loves me too.

But she didn't.

She remained lying there pale, multiple tubes going in and out of her, looking so fragile. 

But still beautiful.