"Mhmm." I force my lips into a smile even though I'd like to give him another swift elbow to the solar plexus. "Must of slipped my mind while I was busy following up with Giselle about the catering, calling Tom about the wood delivery, and checking in with Chief Johnson to make sure the fire department would be on hand tonight. You know, by myself."

"Well, some of us were cleaning your aunt's swimming pool all day."

"Because some of you decided it was necessary to pull yet another idiotic prank."

"Fi-re! Fi-re! Fi-re! Fi-re!" The crowd picks up their chant again with more enthusiasm than before.

Every drop of blood in my body migrates from my head to my feet. I'm probably paler than Chance. Ty scans my face, and I'm sure he can see my sheer terror. There's no point hiding it. He knows me too well.

"Why don't you just wait here?" Ty asks. "I'll give the speech since you had to work so hard today."

I would sell my left kidney to avoid getting up in front of the entire town. But the sarcasm in Ty's voice makes my hands curl into fists at my sides. There's no freaking way I did all the work this afternoon for him to go up there and take the credit.

"Not a chance, California boy." I reach up and straighten my pristine ponytail, trying to envision myself as Katniss, or Beyonce, or some equally kick-ass female icon. "Let's do this."

"Fine, new girl." Ty looks me up and down like he's sizing me up. "Just try not to puke on me this time."

I scowl at him.

"Fi-re! Fi-re!" The townsfolk are practically screaming now.

"Showtime." Ty holds his hand out to escort me up the gazebo steps. To my complete and utter satisfaction, it's still very green. I smirk as I link my fingers through his and follow him up the stairs. The skin of his palm is warm and rough from spending the day elbow-deep in Betty's pool. I'd never admit it to him, but holding his hand does help calm the butterflies flapping inside my gut.

The audience cheers as we step up to the railing, and the marching band cuts off abruptly, the metallic sound of horns fading into the night.

"Yeah, Quinn!" Liv hollers. Glancing around the park, I spot her and Betty next to the buffet table. Giselle's put out a spread of mini sliders, potato chips, and a variety of pasta salads. Marco is standing under one of the giant maple trees with Ty's sisters. I can't see his mom, Lucia, anywhere, though. Weird. She's usually at all the town events.

Chance and Kelvin are tossing little packets on top of the firewood and dowsing it in kerosene. The chemical sting of it burns my nostrils, and my stomach turns over. I focus on taking deep breaths in through my mouth.

I will not puke. I will not puke. I will not puke.

Ty makes a sweeping gesture toward the mic, murmuring, "Ladies first," against my ear. Goosebumps trail across my skin where his breath kissed it.

"Hello," I say into the mic. It gives a god-awful burst of feedback that screeches through the trees, making everyone wince and sending a flock of birds into the air. I cover my ears as Chance rushes to the speaker and adjusts the dials.

I shift my weight onto my right foot, and my leg trembles like a spoonful of green Jello on the set of Jurassic Park. Crap. My condition occasionally has some fun neurological symptoms, including extreme muscle weakness when I get stressed.

I take a step back, trying to get my muscles under control. My legs wobble, and I wrap my fingers around Ty's arm for balance. He looks down at my shaky legs. His brows draw together in concern, and I can tell he remembers this happening before. He loops his arm around my waist and whispers, "You good?"