Chapter Six: Elijah

I’m at a meeting with the city planner I’m manipulating into granting a permit he doesn’t want to give me. He will – everyone always does – but he left the room five minutes before to call the mayor for permission. I’m staring at the television that’s on at one end of the city hall’s large conference room when I see a familiar face, one that shouldn’t be on the screen at all.

 I can’t fucking believe what I’m seeing. It takes me a moment, but I snatch my cell and call Jamil.

“I want my entire security detail at Natalie’s. Now,” I snap into the phone.

“Yes, sir.”

“I also want to know who the fuck at the hotel leaked information about her.”

“Working on that already, sir.”

“I’m on my way.” The last thing I want to do is leave, but I also recognize this is a great opportunity to play the press a little. What will make my father more pissed than me waltzing in to rescue the American woman I need him to believe I love? If nothing else, the photo op will get me some fantastic press.

Pulling up the news on my cell, I glance at my assistant, who waits outside the room.

“Reschedule for tomorrow,” I order. “Call the car around.”

She nods and quickly obeys. By the time I reach the first floor lobby, the car will be waiting. My people are good like that – or they get fired.

I hop into the elevator, frowning fiercely at the news I see on my small screen.

Billionaire Bride mobbed, injured. Live coverage!

Cinderella story unfolds! Screams at least two more headlines.

I see Natalie get out of the car. Seconds later, she disappears beneath the throng of people. My breath catches, and I stare, stricken by the scene.

Her safety is my concern. At least, for three months. Jamil called me the moment he discovered that the information about her identity was leaked, but I had no idea this would be the result. I’m feeling more unsettled than I should, given her relative lack of importance in my life. She’s a temporary fixture. Nothing permanent. Nothing that should give me a second thought.

In hindsight, I probably should’ve known better than to assume the news about her wouldn’t leak so soon. Every woman I’m linked to with allegations of being serious ends up swarmed by paparazzi. They all know how to handle the press, though, and it’s now clear to me that Natalie doesn’t.

She’s also not the same kind of woman I usually date. I’m expected to go out with wealthy women, other bluebloods, or celebrities.

A commoner, however, is sensational, and it hits me that this is the true appeal of her. My father will hate it, but she’ll skyrocket to the top of every newscast, headline and online website obsessed with royalty in the world. Overnight, she’ll become bigger than everyone else out there. That kind of press, I can’t buy, and my father can’t ignore. This kind of press will raise the Kingdom’s profile, something he’ll choose to embrace over my American fiancé.

My plan is getting more brilliant by the second!

Assuming she survives the mobs.

“Fucking shit,” I mutter and shove the phone in my pocket.

Hurrying out of city hall, I get into my car and give my driver the address to the Tenley project. I’ve been with too many one-night stands to care about this one after only one night, with the exception that she needs to be alive for me to make my father’s deadline.