Chapter 16: Spend the Night

Photo under license from Adobe Stock.

_________________

❤️Mac❤️

"You made it."

I decide not to tell Ryan how close I was to not coming tonight. Instead, I lift up the brown paper bag in my hands.

"I wasn't sure what we were having, so I brought red and white wine. The white is already chilled."

He takes the wine from me. "Perfect. Either will go fine. Come on in," he says, stepping back.

My heart quickens in anticipation as I walk past him, but he doesn't touch me.

"I hope you're hungry," Ryan says as we walk into his apartment.

Almost immediately, my eyes settle on the large floor-to-ceiling window in his lounge room. We all envy Ryan's apartment. The dim lights in the room make the sight of the Melbourne skyline, all lit up, even more spectacular. To the side of the window, a table has been set for two. In the middle of the table is a single blood-red rose in a vase, atop a crisp white linen tablecloth.

"Dinner is prepped, but I didn't want to start cooking till you were here. It won't take me long."

I turn around to see Ryan disappearing into the kitchen with the wine I brought. I need some liquid courage right now. I can't remember the last time I was this nervous on a date – I've never been this nervous, period. All the way to Ryan's apartment, I haven't been able to stop thinking about Brad's words.

"If you do decide the cons outweigh the pros, don't break his heart too bad."

The idea of breaking the heart of Australia's Romeo seems preposterous, but Brad sounded so serious. As if that alone wasn't confusing enough, Brad mentioned that Ryan was thinking about quitting Hart's Valley, that he was worried about the future if things didn't work out between us.

My head is a mess. So much has happened in a single day. Tonight, I need to make a decision about whether I want to pursue a relationship with the man I love, but how do I begin?

Ever since leaving the set, all I've wanted to do is ask Ryan about Lyndel. At the same time, I am absolutely terrified of bringing up her name. What will he say when he finds out his former co-star is back? Will he be happy? Or will he pretend not to care?

Brad has told me more than once that I needed to talk to Ryan about my worries. As horrified as I am at the idea of laying bare my insecurities, he is right. If Ryan really loves me, then I owe it to him to talk things through before I make a decision.

I walk into the kitchen and watch as Ryan pulls several bowls and jars out of the refrigerator. He still hasn't mentioned what we are eating, but judging by the ingredients he is placing on the countertop, I'm going to guess it is spaghetti carbonara.

"Can I help?" I ask.

"Ah, the garlic bread needs to go in the oven, and the wine needs to be opened and poured."

"I can do that," I say quickly.

He looks at me with a knowing smile. "Nervous?"

Hell yes! "Just a little."

He grins. "Wine glasses are on the table."

I quickly locate the garlic bread in the fridge and open it before sliding it out of its packaging.

"There's already a tray in the oven. Mitts are in the cupboard above the oven."

I open the oven door and carefully place the garlic bread on the tray. Then I go to retrieve the two wine glasses.