part 1 : chapter 1

(You are a rare diamond , don't chase worthless stones. Remember that. )

"So where is andrew right now?" I fiddle with the zipper of my jacket as i ask this difficult question.

Mr pottstein looks at me and replies "i don't know, your mom will fetch you so get your things and im sorry for your loss" pfft, as if he ever liked Andrew.

We stood up and exited the office. I was in complete disbelief, two main important people in my life, gone. My dad left and i never got an explanation. Worse thing is that andrew didn't leave on the best terms with me.

"Its not easy for me , i look just like you, im dark skinned . Yes, i got mom's beautiful neutral eyes but that's it. People cross the road at my presence scar. Don't tell me i dont know, cause you don't know!, you need to learn to embrace your dark skin and stop shaming us who are comfortable in our skins!"

He's last words to me. It hurts that he left me on a bad note. He was angry at me but im happy that he finally opened up to me, just wish it'd happen in a better way.

"Let's go mom's here " rose passed by me, she seemed like she didn't care about this situation. "I'm right behind you dude" it hurt me, it really did.

•,,,•

"I'm so sorry you guys, but there's nothing we can do,he's gone" mom said as she hugged rose. "He is, he really is." i stood up and stood in the corner. "Oh goodness, if you dive right into your depressed ways again, we'll have a huge problem." Mom warned me. But how can i not feel depressed when i just lost my support system ?

•~•

"Are you okay weirdo ?" rose knocked on my door. "I'm fine, i really am" she took a few more steps closer to my bed. "You're not fine, freckles" freckles? "Freckles, when last did i hear that? " she smiled a little "dad called you freckles, he really loved you" i broke a smile that i've been trying to hold in. "Why do y'all hate him so much, he made me happy"

*a few years back..*

"Don't go inside, stay here okay?" 7 year old andrew told 5 year old me. "Why? I want to see daddy" he held my hand and brought me into a tight hug. "No, leave daddy alone now, he drank his naughty drink and its making him mad and angry." Concerned 7 year old andrew said. "But daddy loves me, even when he's angry" i tried opening the bathroom door but immediately let go of the handle when i heard a woman scream her lungs out. "Was that mommy , drew?" Tears rushed down, even though she treated me like trash, i still cared. "Keep quiet.its not mommy"

*back to present time*

"Was it him?" I whispered. "Who? What?" with her hand running through my hair. "Did dad abuse mom ? Don't lie to me" a tear escaped, rose wiped it off for me. "Uhm..y..yeah. yeah" i took a deeeep breath in and looked at her,"i guess the naughty drink was alcohol"

"Treat everyone with respect, be kind to everyone, even when they treat you like dirt , good things take time , okay freckles "

Those were my dad's words, the man who beat my mom my whole childhood is the one giving me these lectures.

"how did he die rose?" I asked calmly, but inside i was fuming. "I don't know, only andrew knew." She's lying but i won't force it out of her.

<•<•
I closed my eyes and my dream took me to a white place with foggy haze. I stood there for a few seconds and then andrew popped up.

"I hope you're not crying over me"

His voice echoed everywhere, i tried opening my mouth but no words came out. I had a lot to say but it felt like my lips were glued together.