CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

ابدأ من البداية

"Never. Anyone with half a brain can see how much you two care about each other." I can hear his smile over the phone, the sincerity in his voice. "I always wanted a sister," he continues, as if talking to himself. "Maybe if I play my cards right, you'll be my little sister one day too."

I gasp, sucking in a quick intake of breath.

"You really do love her, don't you?"

"More than I ever thought possible. Tell her that for me will you?"

"I will." And just like that the call's over.

When Daniella and mom finally get back, I'm bursting with anticipation.
"Well?" I ask once they're inside. Mom shoots me a look, and Dani marches upstairs without a word.
Without looking at mom, I follow my big sister back to her room.

She's flopped onto her bed, lying across the covers diagonally.

"Kevin said to tell you he loves you more than he ever thought possible." I say from the doorway. Her head lifts, her interest perked.

"He called?"

"Yeah, every half-hour. The guy's head over heels for you." Her cheeks flush a deep crimson, and she looks away, out her window.

"I'm not pregnant Sarah." She whispers. I sit down next to her.

"That's great news, right?" I ask, confused. Why's she so upset.

"Well, yeah. I guess." She sits up, crossing her legs-Buddhist style. "It's just that, as crazy as it seemed, I kind of wanted to be a mom, after I got used to the idea of being pregnant." She leans her head on my shoulder, tears welling up in her eyes. "I could be a really awesome mom, you know."

"If being a mom is anything like being an older sister, you'd rock at it." I reassure her. She smiles at me, then eyes travel downward, landing on my thimble necklace.
"Hey, you're still wearing it!" She laughs, playing with the chain around me neck.

"Well yeah. It's a family heirloom and all," I say, trying to act really serious.

"Oh! I almost forgot! When gran was here last, she gave me this," Dani gets up and pulls something out of her jewelry chest.
"When was gran here?" Guilt floods me. I haven't seen gran since before Disneyland.

"You were out with Carley, I think." Dani replies flippantly. "Anyway, gran was here, and she thought I was you, and she gave this to me. She said that it was her grandmother's." She holds up a silver locket, decorated with a bird flying across it.

"It's beautiful," I gasp, gently taking the necklace from her. Delicately I open the locket, to find an old black-and-white photo of gran in it when she was much younger. She was beautiful, with thick dark hair and a soft, round face, full lips and big eyes.

"I think this is what she meant to give you when she gave you the thimble." Dani takes the locket from me, closes it, and claps it around my neck.

Grinning, I unclasp the thimble necklace and fasten it around her neck.

"Now we both have something from Gran, granted mines not a thimble...but I'll manage." We giggle, but are interrupted by the ringing phone.
"That would be Kevin. You need to tell him."

Her face pales.

"I know."

******************************************
Okay....so, that just happened.

Hey hey hey 😄

Now you guys know what Nana wanted to give Sarah all the way back in chapter 27!

And what do you guys think of Kevin now? Romantic or creepy? Let us know!

We hate to say this, but we are officially in the last few chapters of our book, we estimate no more than 5 more chapters, but we're trying to draw this out as long as possible!

Also...YAY! Dani's not pregnant. We know she might want to be a mom now, but she has to take into account that she's still pretty young, and has a promising career of photography-or business owning-ahead of her. She'd make an awesome mom, true, but is she ready? Comment your opinions!

As stated in the last chapter, we are headed back to school, so the chapter updates might be irregular, sorry guys, grades come first 😒😞

On a completely unrelated note; Snow has published a collection of some of her unfinished works and short stories for you to read! Please feel free to check out "Cluttered" and leave a comment and a vote! She'd love to know what you guys think of her writing style.
Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!

Lots of Love
Xoxo
Storm and Snow 💋