"So is he," Rosalyn says, assured. "But there's another thing I wanted to talk to you about."

I tilt my head to the side, waiting for her to continue.

"You two are being ... safe. Aren't you?"

My eyebrows draw together. "Safe in ... what sense?" I ask curiously.

Rosalyn intertwines her hands together. "You are protected, aren't you?" he rewords the question.

And now I get it. My cheeks heat up. "Yes! Of course we are!" Oh my God.

Alexander decides that moment to walk to the living room, taking a loud bite in the apple. "Here you're hiding," he says, his eyes going from me to his mother. "What are you two talking about?"

I look at him with wide eyes, trying to deliver a message without saying a word, but he doesn't get it.

Rosalyn, however, has no problem with this topic and just tells him how it is. "I'm just asking Gabrielle if you two are safe and use protection."

Alexander visibly shudders. "Oh, hell no," he mutters and turns on his heels.

"Alexander!" I call after him. Is he seriously going to leave me here alone?

"Have things to do," he says and almost runs out of the room.

I stare after him in disbelief and turn back to Rosalyn with wide eyes. She just chuckles. "I won't hold you for much longer. I just wanted to make sure you're alright. Is he going to classes?"

I grimace. I don't want to lie to her. "He's trying but he doesn't always succeed," I say.

Alexander already said that he's mostly just going because of me, not because he'd be interested in the subjects or having a degree. I don't want to force him to go, either, but Rosalyn and Alfred are paying a lot of money for both of us and I feel like I at least owe them to try and motivate him somehow to attend the classes.

Rosalyn sighs. I think that, deep down, she knows her son isn't academically successful and doesn't care about education, but that doesn't mean he's not smart. He is, he's just not interested in getting a degree. "That's alright. He's at least trying," she says.

"Gabby! Come, we need the fourth player for ludo," Amelia comes running into the room.

I turn my body and look at her, happy that I'm saved from this kind of awkward, kind of heartfelt conversation. She comes to me and grabs my hand, pulling me with her. I give Rosalyn an apologetic smile, but I can't wait to get away.

Lena and Alexander are already sitting on the floor. I sit down next to Alex, but Amelia gets a new idea that we should just play Uno instead and she goes looking for the cards.

Alexander swings his head into my direction, a lazy grin appearing on his lips. "So. What did my mother have to say?"

I give him a dirty look. "If you stayed, you'd know."

He grins even wider. "Nah. I know plenty about the topic already."

I roll my eyes. Lena is watching us with interest and that's why I decide to just shut up.

Amelia comes back with the cards and sits down with us. Before she'd give us each cards, Sam comes into the room. "Ooooh, can I play?" she asks excitedly.

Amelia grins and makes room for her to sit down. She sits down next to Lena and gives me a grin and a wink. Alexander is sitting with his back against the wall, looking completely disinterested. I know he's only doing this to make his sister happy.