XXXVI.

Meeting with Sam actually calms me down, but only a little bit

Meeting with Sam actually calms me down, but only a little bit. She's obviously processing things and she's doing that in her own way. It's not a way that I understand or would even suggest, but who am I to judge? She knows what's best for her, I hope. At least she doesn't come off as impulsive like that night, so that's good. It seems like she had some time to think things through, but she's still not completely there.

Afterwards, we stop at the animal shelter, just like Alexander promised we are going to. We went to the pet store beforehand just in case we actually come home with a new cat today. It's good to be prepared.

Alexander actually goes into the shelter without saying a word or grumbling like I expected him to, so that's a pleasant surprise.

I was preparing myself for what I'm about to see here, but it still shocks me when we walk around and I see all those sad faces watching us. It's clear they're taking good care of them here, but there are so many of them; so many animals that stayed without their owners and they must feel so lonely.

My heart is in my throat the whole time. If I could, I'd save all of them and take them home with me. But I can only pick one cat that's going to get a permanent home.

I stop in front of a black and white cat that's sitting in the far corner, watching us with a careful expression. I notice it because it's missing the front leg and it makes me sad to even think about what must've happened. I lean down a little, my head close to the cage as I look at the scared expression on its face.

I turn to Alexander and straighten my back again. He's silently standing beside me, looking around and probably just everything else but the animals. "I want this one," I say.

That grabs his attention and he looks at me and then gives the cat an interesting look. His mouth creates a straight line. "You sure?" he asks unsurely, tilting his head.

"Yep," I say, convinced. This one is going home with us today.

Alexander's eyes narrow a little. "But ... it's missing a leg," he says quietly, whispering it as if it shouldn't be said out loud.

"Yep," I say. "And?"

He makes a face. "Are you really sure?" he asks again and I know that he's not happy about it. But, hopefully, he'll change his mind. I mean, how can someone this cute not make you feel anything at all? Come on.

"Yes. Let's go get someone to get it for us," I say, already walking back to where we came from.

And when I do, I notice something. I don't know why, maybe because it's the only one being quiet and just ... laying there. A puppy. He's looking through the cage with the saddest eyes I've ever seen. I see it has a chipped ear as if an accident happened.

I turn to Alexander who was walking after me and I give him a wide-eyed look. "What? Changed your mind?" he asks, not noticing the puppy.

I look at the cage again. "Look at this puppy," I say, pointing at it.