Chapter 1

"...Drake..." A faint, familiar voice echoed through the growing darkness. It was a dark voice, yes, but familiar all the same. For some reason, it sparked some sort of fear in the pit of Drake's stomach. "..Drake..."

   The voice was gaining strength, like it was trying to reach him. Like an outside force was reaching into his mind to tell him what to do. He had a creeping feeling that was exactly what was happening here. 

   "Drake!" The voice cried finally, a young teen materialing right before his eyes. "Finally!"

   "Wha-" Drake stared, the word barely escaping his throat, before the boy cut him off. 

   "No time to ask questions, Drake." The familiar stranger snapped, before pausing. "At least, not for you. What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

   Drake slowly sighed. Of course something like this would happen. Why wouldn't it? The demon must have sent this strange spirit to talk him out of gaining the power necessary to defeat it. Because why would anything ever be easy?

   "I'm doing what I have to to protect the people I care about." He said evenly. The teen scoffed. 

   "Liar!"

   "Excuse me?" Drake snarled, stepping forward in the infinite void. For a moment, his gaze flickered down to the strange, invisible ground, before locking on the boy again. 

   "You just want power! Think about what the consequences are!"

   "You know nothing."

   "I know you don't want this!"

   "Who the fuck are you to tell me what I want?" Drake growled, fists clenched. His spines stood on end, though he could barely feel them. The coldness of this void began to be painfully obvious. His fingertips were numb, as well as the tip of his tail and the most of his spines. 

   "Don't make my mistake!" The boy warned, his voice almost desperate. The hybrid's blazing mismatched eyes met a blueish-green, almost identical to Armen's. His heart ached, just for a moment, but realization tore him from an imminent pit of despair. Collin!

   "I am not you." Drake straightened his back, standing at his full height. He didn't let the shock of the teen's identity make his voice shake, though his could still feel the tremble in his hands. Face to face with his creator, it felt strange. 

   "Then why- why Drake- why are you making the same, horrible, mistake?" Desperation was even clearer in Collin's voice this time. It almost made the mage scoff. 

   "Because I'm doing this for the greater good, not a power fix." He hissed icily. He noticed the kid flinch, a sort of sick satisfaction pulling at the sides of the hybrid's mouth. 

   "Drake, that's the exact thing I told myself-" Collin began gently, but the seven foot giant stopped him. 

   "Don't you dare talk down to me." Drake snarled, his tail lashing. "I am anything but a child, I know exactly what I'm getting myself into."

   "No, you don't!" The creator dropped any attempt at softness, replacing it with a cold tone that sent shivers down Drake's spine. "You have no idea what's going to happen to yo-"

   "And you do?" Drake took another menacing step forward, making the kid take a retreating step back. "I've delt with this evil all my life! No thanks to you!" 

   "Oh! So you think you're special?!" Collin laughed, exposing oddly sharp canines that reminded Drake of his fangs. "Oh boo-hoo, a big spooky ghost followed you a little bit! What a fucking travesty!"

   "You know it was more than that!" The mage cried, his voice breaking slightly. The sound of his own voice weakening sparked more anger in his broken heart. "Don't pretend it was nothing!"

   "You have freedom, Drake." Collin shook his head. "Don't give that up like I did." 

   "What's the point of that freedom if everyone's gone?" Drake shut his eyes, acid tears finally rolling down his cheeks. He clenched his fists, his sharp nails digging into his palms. "What's the point of fighting if there's going to be no one when it's over?!"

   "I felt the exact same-"

   "I will never be like you." Drake snapped, straightening his back again. Partly to make a point, but mostly because this overwhelming feeling of darkness that loomed behind him. It was like he was being watched, by something powerful and dangerous. 

   The demon?

   No, the demon felt different, he knew what being watched by the demon felt like. He was very familiar with the feeling, as horrible as it was. 

   The hybrid looked over his shoulder, slowly, his eyes locked on the jagged crystal mass behind him. It twinkled like a star, and it was a deep red that glowed blue. It was beautiful, he had never been so close to a diamond before. 

   But he wasn't here to just look at the power source.

   "Drake, please. Just destroy it! Please!" Collin begged, as he turned around fully. Drake ignored his creator, instead taking the sharp gemstone in his hands. He was hesitant to brush his fingers across its jagged and rough looking surface, it's glowing mass instead floating right above his palms. 

   "I... don't think I will." Drake whispered, nearly entranced by the diamond. He stared at it as it slowly rotated. He could see the swirling magic contained inside. Magic he wanted so badly to harness. 

   The second the thought crossed his mind, the diamond dropped into his hands, it's sharper edges slicing his palms. The mage stared through wide eyes as the gemstone turned purely to light, seeping into his body through the new wounds. 

   An electrifying feeling jolted through his veins, magic seeping from every inch of his body. 

   For the first time in quite a long time, he didn't feel a single thing. He was...

   Calm. 

   He closed his eyes, letting himself get enveloped by the feeling of power. It was intoxicating. If he didn't die just from all this magic, he would find a way to save anyone he could with this magic.  

   Though...

   Did they deserve it?

   The way strangers had treated him over the length of his limited life played in his mind. They weren't exactly kind to him or Armen. In fact, one could say that they were cruel.

   Did they deserve saving?

   Certainly not, if they treated the ones that would save them so poorly. It didn't matter if they didn't know what they both would have become. It didn't matter if those people didn't even exist anymore. 

   It didn't matter to Drake. 

   One thing remained in his otherwise calm mind:

Revenge. 

   The demon wasn't in control. It never was. He wanted to burn things, to end lives, to wreak havoc. He wanted everyone to pay. And he had a damn good idea where to start. 

Authors note:

owo wots this?
Not overthought?
What the hell am I doing?
Who knows! I certainly don't!
Also, I finally sucked it up and go the wattpad app, though I still have to use my data to access it. Regardless, no amount of work arounds would let me to use formatting. Now that I can, I'll try to get overthought going again. It WILL take a while, I know those actually reading it have been really patient, and I'm really trying, I promise. I literally have the entry block for after the chapter and everything. I'll also start getting chapter covers going soon as well, but theres a bunch of stuff goin on in my life, so i can't exacy write 100% of the time (as much as I hate it.)
With much love and procrastination,
Cicada.