twenty one

handcuffs look good on you

"what was your thought process with using your head?"

I raise my eyebrow at JJ as he asks Pope the question, even Kiara laughs at it. we were at Heyward's helping out for the day, but JJ and I kept getting distracted with goofing off. this felt like a good day.

"hey Pope, there's someone here to see you." Heyward announces as he walks towards us. he jerks his thumb behind himself, and we all watch as Shoupe comes in, looking like he means business.

"fuck." I mutter under my breath.

"evening officer." Pope says, seemingly very chill. I was proud of him, even though I knew it wasn't real.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Hands where I can see 'em." as soon as the words leave Shoupe's mouth, everyone's jaw drops. Kiara lifts her hands and backs away while handcuffs go around Pope's wrists.

"how much did they pay you?"

"Shoupe, what'd he do?"

"c'mon man, this is bull."

my ears were ringing as we all follow Shoupe out of the store, Pope now obviously freaking out. I stood frozen once we got outside. everyone else was yelling and trying to stop it from happening.

until JJ exclaims, "it wasn't him!" I had never wanted to shake the daylight out of him more than I did in that moment. "it was me."

"JJ, don't." I warn, silently begging him to shut his mouth. when my hand brushes up against his, he walks forward.

"he tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from figure eight that I lost my shit." JJ continues as he gets closer to Shoupe and Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did."

all I could do was watch, but Kiara took my hand because she knew how I was feeling. we were helpless.

"you've got too much to lose." JJ tells Pope, and I now realize why JJ is doing this.

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope finally questions. he could deny all he wanted, but JJ was doing this for our friend, like always. to protect him.

"I'm telling the truth. for once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth." JJ replies as he looks directly at Shoupe. "I took his old man's boat too."

"what the hell?" Heyward snaps.

"JJ, come on-"

"just shut up, Pope! just shut up." when JJ turns to Shoupe, I want to grab him and pull him out of this. pull him away from Shoupe. "he's a good kid. you know where I'm from. this was all me."

"that the whole truth?"

"that's the whole truth-"

"I know what you think dammit, I'm asking Pope!" Shoupe exclaims, causing me to flinch slightly. everyone looks at Pope, and while I'm silently urging him to be smart, I know what he's going to do.