twenty-six

t is for trauma

JJ and I sit on the couch together while John B panic paces in the kitchen and Pope goes to talk to Kiara

JJ and I sit on the couch together while John B panic paces in the kitchen and Pope goes to talk to Kiara. I felt so stuck in the middle that nothing made sense when I tried to think of ways to be helpful. of course I'm going to want Sarah involved, she's one of my best friends, but I can also see where Kie feels betrayed. obviously whatever went down between the two of them still bothered her. 

while JJ plays with my fingers between his hands, I look over at him. "JJ?"

"yes baby?"

"if it were me in Sarah's position, and Kiara didn't want me here, would you vouch for me like John B?" I ask him, genuinely curious about the answer. it was one of my biggest fears when I came back to become friends with them, but even then it was JJ who was originally against the idea.

he thinks for a minute, before giving one of my knuckles a soft kiss. "obviously Sarah means a lot to John B. if she means nearly as much to him as you mean to me, then I would never stop arguing for you."

with that confession, I stand up from the couch with a plan in mind.

-

I end up following Sarah to see how she's feeling after that garbage fire of a conversation. considering how far she'd already walked I'm shocked I could catch up to her in time. "Sarah! Sarah, just wait please!" I holler, catching her attention but not stopping her.

she huffs out the words, "go away."

"I'm not backing down until you and I can talk this out. after all, we were always the ones seen as the kooks right? not them. who better to talk to than me?" I plead, needing things to go right. if I can just get Sarah to be civil with the pogues, and the latter to do the same, then maybe I can have all the people I care about in one place. "don't do it for John B, do it for me."

Sarah stops in her tracks and slowly turns to me. "only because best friends come before boys."

I grin at her, making her chuckle before I say, "that's my girl."

we start making our way, slowly, in the direction of the chateau. I explain to her in detail the mechanics of the pogues, and we talk about some of Sarah's past with Kiara and their issues. as much as I try to resolve things, I start to lose hope when Sarah comes to a conclusion.

"John B needs to choose me or Kiara. she's not going to sit by while I'm around."

I'm suddenly praying the boys will have better luck with Kiara. before I can reply to Sarah's ultimatum, John B and JJ pull up on a boat by a dock. "can we steal you two for a bit?" JJ questions, raising an eyebrow at me.

"please, Sarah." she glances at John B when he pleads, and I can see in her face she's struggling to say no. "I need you."

Sarah doesn't say anything, but starts to walk across the dock to climb on board. I follow, giving JJ a questioning look. where is Pope, or Kiara?