Part 8 - Slughorn's Party ★

Start from the beginning

"Have you told him about the pact?"

"Of course not! I would never. I told him right from the start that if he's only after me to get information about Riddle and you, he could piss off."

"And?"

"He didn't piss off," she smiled. "He's really nice. We never talked about you and Tom after I had made it clear it was none of his business. He didn't even bring it up to begin with. I did. I would never date someone who would want to harm you, I swear."

"Ugh, I know," you groaned. "You're too good. For me and for Ben."

"Shut up," she said as she nudged your shoulder.

"Wait. Did you just say 'date' someone? Are you official?"

"No. I guess not. But maybe someday. Now, what are you going to wear to Slughorn's party?"

Slughorn's annual belated New Year's party was one of the few exclusive gatherings happening in school

Slughorn's annual belated New Year's party was one of the few exclusive gatherings happening in school. Students could only attend if they had gotten a personal invitation, from Slytherin's headteacher Horace Slughorn, who would invite his favourite pupil, or rather, the ones he thought looked best in his trophy collection.

Camille, Tom and you had all gotten Slughorn's owl. You had not mustered up the courage to ask him about it. Even though you were going to marry him, that didn't mean he wanted to go to the party together. Together, as in, on a date. It had felt too delicate talking about it directly, the fear of being rejected too present. So you had danced around the subject, trying to find out if you were on the same page. Until he had finally said what you had wanted to hear. He had asked when to pick you up as if the possibility of not going there as a couple had not even occurred to him.

Seven o'clock, as arranged. It had arrived so soon. You hastily fixed the small wrinkles on the hem of your dress with a spell when you heard him knock on the door. Tom looked very posh in his black suit, politely offering his arm. And off you went. Together.

The guests at the party were students from years six and seven, as well as some teachers. Camille, who had brought Ben with her, looked absurdly pretty in her golden dress. Ben couldn't have been more proud. He talked to Camille continuously and just seemed head over heels for her. Right next to them stood two of Ben's friends, looking all out of character in suits. Avery and Lestrange came without dates and seemed awfully nervous for some reason. They whispered to each other every time you looked their way.

And then there was Freda Morris. Hogwarts' head girl, who had her eyes fixated on Tom from the moment you had entered the room. Had she even noticed you next to him? Was she aware Tom was spoken for? Everyone knew by now that you were engaged after all, the ring on your finger being a testament to that. Either she didn't know, or she didn't care. The expression she sent you, after carefully staring you up and down, told you though, that she was absolutely aware of your relationship. She looked like she wanted to throw you out the next window.