Chapter 5: Those Who Are Least Alone [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

But Daisuke didn't respond.

"Daisuke?"

Yuuko walked to his friend and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Daisuke, are you scared?"

"..........yeah....."

"Why are you scared of him Daisuke?"

"Cause.....Cause look! He looks scary and he's gonna bite me if I get close!"

"Daisuke, did you know that it is a good thing to be scared?"

"Huuuuuuaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhh!?" blurted Hajimu. He seemed surprised when none of them paid any mind to his outburst.

"Why..... is it a good thing?"

Despite the fact his own body was still shaking, Yuuko smiled wide. He jumped back, placing a hand to the sky.

"Because this is an opportunity! The first step to becoming a hero!"

"A.... hero?"

"Just like Day, Night, and Hiro! You can only be a hero if you are brave!"

Sora and Daisuke looked in awe. Both of their bodies' were still shaking, but their tears were slowly replaced with wide-mouthed grins. Both of them nodded strongly in agreement and began discussing plans.

"S-So how do we stop it?!" enthused Daisuke.

"Maybe we can give it food to distract it?" suggested Sora.

"Father tried that before and it did not work on him— but I think I know what to do!"

Yuuko looked back to the now violently fuming Hajimu.

"Hajimu, may I borrow your stick please?"

"No!" He said pushing Yuuko out of the way. "I'LL get it back! Shut up and watch you weirdo!"

"But I think I have a plan to—"

"I said to shut up and watch!" he screamed through clenched teeth.

Yuuko didn't have time to stop him before he sprinted the distance towards the glasses. Holding his stick as high as he could, Hajimu screeched at the top of his lungs.

"RRRYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

The ear-piercing scream instantly caused all three boys to cover their ears, but their pain was nothing compared to the shock that came when he struck the dog with the stick. The dull sound of thick wood hitting the bones in the dog's ribcage reverberated through their own bodies. They didn't need to hear it, they could feel it.

"WHIII—WHIIIHHNNNN"

The creature reacted instantly; leaving in a panicked retreat to the end of the alley— all four of them could still make out its shape in the distance. Though it was still fairly close, it didn't matter. Because it now looked like a completely different creature.

"Sora catch!" Hajimu shouted as he threw them to his friend with all his might. Thanks to his baseball practice, Sora caught them with flawless precision.

He quickly placed them over Daisuke's eyes, restoring his sight.

There was a brief moment of silence that seemed out of place, but also very fitting given what just happened. Hajimu's scream seemed to have taken the energy out of all of them. Yet he remained standing, hardly breathing, but triumphant in his goal.

"ha............Ha! HA!! AHAHAHA!!! Did you see that you loser!? I'm not scared! I'm the hero— not you!!" Hajimu boasted proudly as he pointed the stick at Yuuko, waving it in display. "I'm an awesome hero huh guys!?"