"i'm fine, spence. i am. it was just a bad dream. here, let me clean up and i'll come back and talk about it, okay?" you assured him, pecking his cheek and squeezing his hands softly to remind him to let go.

     with a small nod, he watched you lock yourself in the jet bathroom, out of sight.
     it took one look in the mirror to find you were a sweaty, stressed-out wreck; hair flat on the side where you slept, and makeup smudged across the side of your face with little streaks of mascara trailing from eye to ear- you must've been crying in your sleep. that's probably when he noticed you were having a nightmare.
     reaching under the sink cabinet, you grabbed a few of jj's spare makeup wipes and removed all traces of the tear trails. muscle memory kicked in from all your late nights as you pulled the cascading, tangled mess of hair into a loose bun behind your head and tugged some strategic pieces out in the front. with a quick smoothing out of your button down and a small adjustment to the waist of your dress pants, you left the too-tiny-for-comfort bathroom and made for spencer on the couch.

     "i always like when you take your makeup off."

     "well, lucky you," you smiled, lacing your fingers with his own. "i'm sorry if i worried you. i usually never get nightmares."

     "well, this case was a tough one. very gruesome. i don't blame you."

     "i just... i guess it was tough on me. i felt responsible for saving that girl. i'm glad we did."

     he scooted closer before lifting an arm to rest on the back of the couch, leaning in a bit and lowering his tone as he inquired, "was that what the dream was about? saving her?"

     "yeah... yeah, i was trying to save her but i couldn't, and the unsub killed her. i made some mistake about where he was keeping his victims, i think. and the whole team was angry with me... well, uh, because it was my fault she died. it was all my fault."

     not another word was muttered as he pulled you into his arms, cradling your head in the crook of his neck. you obliged, wrapping your arms around him and smiling into his shirt. a quick glance revealed everyone was asleep but hotch, so you weren't too embarrassed to be cuddling your boyfriend on the plane. at least derek wouldn't be able to attack you- especially because hotch doesn't snitch.

     "i just want you to know that you are a strong and talented person, and i'm really proud of the work you do. especially what you did for this case. that girl is alive because you figured out where he was holding his victims before anyone else could, and you were right- you are unstoppable," he rambled, voice low and soft as he spoke the words into your head. he stroked the nape of your neck with his fingers, sending little waves of calm crashing down your tense shoulders.

     "you sure do have a way with words, genius."

     "that's why i read."

     you wriggled out of his grasp for just a moment- you wanted to look at him. all in one moment you captured the memory of his awkward teenage haircut swooped messily across his face, his loose dress shirt and artfully mismatched socks, his dreamy eyes and dopey smile. spencer is everything you've ever wanted, and you managed to get him. you really were lucky.
     leaning forward, you pressed a soft kiss to his lips- one that lasted long enough to get your wordless 'thank you' across, and one that left him wanting for way more than either of you could manage in the open space of the plane.

     "you can't just do that," he whined, pawing at your hips with his big hands in a weak attempt to get another kiss, but you ignored him- with great willpower, of course, as it's hard to when he's grabbing at you like that. "i hate you."

     "no you don't," you flashed a cheeky smile.

     you crawled back into his arms and let him wrap you up, settling into his warmth and feeling the sleep start to creep back into you.

     "i love you, baby. i'll wake you up if you have another nightmare." he mumbled softly into your hair, pressing a few airy kisses to your head.

     you only hummed into the gesture, muttering a small, "i love you too, spencie," into his chest before letting yourself fall into the blanket of sleep settling over you both.

he felt the blanket soon after, but waited to take one last look at your peaceful sleep. as spencer beheld the softened skin of your complexion and the calm smile tugging at your dozing lips, he decided he's going to make sure he saves you from every nightmare, every fear, every moment of doubt you create for yourself, because he loves you more than anything he ever has before. even work- and that's saying something.

the plane kept homeward bound as you slept on spencer's chest, and not another nightmare woke you for the rest of the flight.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

not me just writing scenarios i think up when i'm trying to fall asleep 💀 not me, wrong bitch

i don't know if i'm particularly good at oneshots but i am trying... so tragic. i am doing my best kejhdjsjskdnd

...anyways love spencer. cool bye

- Assistant (to the) Regional Manager of Spencer Reid Appreciation Company,
somethingheavenknows