Chapter Thirty-Nine

Born with a void hard to destroy, with love or hope. Built with a heart broken from the start, and now I die slow- Valley of the Dolls (Marina and The Diamonds)

The air was cold in Naomi's office. This was by design, and not by accident, it was meant to make an angel feel uncomfortable. And it was definitely working. At least for Hope, who had been waiting anxiously for her superior's return. Half the tablet was clutched in her clammy hands. Only half of what she was supposed to have. Naomi was taking her sweet time, and Hope was taking the time to think of a way out of the mess that was slowly burying her. It didn't matter whether Dean was still traumatised by Purgatory he would help her with anything if she asked him. He was so stupidly trusting. Sam, he would be an issue, he would ask all kinds of uncomfortable questions should she ask for his help. But he and Dean were, unfortunately, a package deal. Hope would deal with him if she deemed it necessary; an unfortunate accident could be easily arranged. The more Hope thought of it the more this disaster seemed a blessing in disguise. She never could be sure that Naomi would uphold her end of the bargain, but by giving her only half the tablet, Hope could use the other half as security. As a little back up you could call it.

"Hope, I see you've returned," Naomi stated, unnecessarily as she walked through the frosted glass doors. "Mission report."

Hope didn't let her lips betray the smug smile threatening to give her away. "Successful. The Winchester's suspect nothing, and are only informed of enough for me to regain their trust."

"Tablet," the elder angel demanded, holding out an impatient hand. Her suit was impeccable, unlike Hope's which was looking decidedly more dishevelled. She handed her part of the tablet over to her superior. "What is this?" she questioned, her cold grey eyes glittering with the same deadly sheen you might see in the eyes of a shark.

"You may only received the tablet once Castiel's safety is guaranteed," replied Hope, in the same monotone voice as before. The perfect example of a diligent soldier awaiting orders.

Naomi was seething with anger. "This is not what we agreed on, Hope," she spat.

Hope let her grin show just the slightest, just enough to let Naomi know Hope was enjoying this. "Nothing agreed upon while one member is under physical duress can be a valid deal. And yet, I have performed what I was ordered." She decided to leave out the portion of information that would say the whole thing had been an accident. "Now it is your turn to hold your end of the deal, Naomi."

"I have told you before, you will call me m'am."

"Yes, m'am."

"And I'm not going to do anything until I have that tablet."

"Well, it appears we have reached an impasse."

"So it appears."

•°•°•°

"Where is it?" demanded Crowley, his knife handle-deep inside the stomach of a blonde demon.

"I don't know," spat the young woman. Her hair had been ripped from its elegant curl, and was currently sticking in stringy tendrils to her sweaty face. Despite her sweat, and the heat of the small room, the woman was shivering violently. "I never saw it."

Crowley pulled out the knife, throwing it with a metallic clang on the workbench behind him, before jamming his hand into the fresh wound. He had always loved a hands on approach to his job.

"I swear!" the woman shrieked, her breath catching as she tried to breathe. "I- I know places!"

Crowley removed his hand harshly, "That's more like it."