5 - Showdown

Music blasted from the speakers as the auditions were in full swing. All the dancers were bringing their A game and Nick was really impressed. Giselle smiled to herself as Richelle began her solo. She had watched her grow up into the beautiful dancer she was now and she swelled with pride.

She was also completely blown away by Amy and Presley - the technique that they brought was impeccable. Equally, Henry and Heath were outstanding hiphop dancers. She knew this decision was the most important as it set the tone for her as studio head, and she also knew that it was going to be a tough one.

She patiently watched, making notes on all of the dancers: Pete, Ozzy, Kenzie, Summer, Izzy, Maya, and many more. When the next dancer stepped up to perform, Giselle was shocked to see that it was Becca, who she had mentored back when she was in J-troupe. Giselle was blown away by how grown up she was now, and her incredible flexibility from her younger days had only improved since then. Her audition was one of the best of the day.

Piper knew that after this dancer, who she didn't recognise, it was her turn next. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she thought of Finn's encouraging words. Becca finished her solo and Piper ran into the centre of the studio.

She felt the music flow through her body as she effortlessly leaped, turned, jumped as if her life depended on it. Her emotions were oozing out of her, reaching to every single dancer watching. She was captivating, and Finn was so proud. He knew she wasn't just dancing for herself - she was dancing for him too.

As Piper took her final position, the first round of auditions were over, and Giselle, Nick and every one of the dancers clapped in appreciation of all the performances they'd seen.
"Guys! That was incredible, you've all completely outdone yourselves. You should all be so proud! Nick and I are now going to discuss which of you will make it to the next round, so until we come back, just take a beat and relax." Giselle said with her natural charisma.

"I guess it all comes down to this then." Amy said, as Giselle and Nick walked away.

*

Jude was nervously pacing, her eyes constantly flickering to the office where the adults were making their decision.
"Jude," Cleo said, taking Jude's face in her hands. "You need to calm down. You danced your best and now it's in Nick and Giselle's hands. I believe in you." Jude smiled, and took Cleo's hand, squeezing it gratefully.

Lily sat in the corner, ignoring the noise surrounding her. Her audition had not gone as she had hoped. She wanted so badly to be on this team, but not even Kingston supported her.

Giselle and Nick re-entered and Studio A was suddenly silent.
"After a lot of debate, we've made our decision on who should make it to the next round of auditions. We wish that we could keep all of you, but not everyone can go to Nationals." Nick said.
"Okay, so if I say your name, you will be continuing in the audition process tomorrow," Giselle said. "Richelle." Richelle's face lit up as she looked around at her friends. Summer gave her a thumbs up and Ozzy gave her a quick wink.

"Presley." Presley was over the moon. She was determined to be Miss National Soloist this year, and this brought her that much closer.
"And next we have Ozzy, Heath, Summer and Winnie," Giselle continued, receiving many smiles from the lucky dancers. "Becca, Skylar, Amy and Henry." Amy and Henry hugged, ecstatic that they were closer to being on the team together again. Richelle and Ozzy exchanged a look at the thought of Skylar returning to The Next Step.

"Marcus and Ethan." The two boys fist bumped.
"I guess that means neither of us has lost." Marcus muttered to Ethan.
"Not yet." Ethan replied.

Giselle continued her list to reveal that Piper, Finn, Kenzie, Kingston, Grace and Cleo had all made it through the first cut. Jude felt panic begin to stir inside her stomach as she felt convinced she wasn't going to make the team.

"Jude." Giselle said, and Jude let out a breath she wasn't aware she had been holding.
"And last, but not least," Giselle said. Lily swallowed the anxiety that was rising in her throat. Her name was the only one out of A-troupe that hadn't yet been called. "Gavin!"

Lily couldn't believe what was happening. She hadn't even made it through the first round. A randomer, someone who she had never seen before, had taken her spot.

"Congratulations to those of you who made it, and the rest of you..." Lily didn't hear the rest of what Nick was saying as she had already darted out of the room.

*

Thirty seconds later, Kingston had caught up to her in the corridor.
"Lily! I'm so sorry! You didn't deserve this." Lily stopped and turned around to face Kingston, the tears in her eyes glistening in the light.
"Save it, Kingston. All I needed was for you to be there for me, and you weren't."
"Now don't blame this on me! Just because I made it through and you didn't!" he snapped.

Lily shook her head solemnly.
"This isn't about the audition. This is about how today I just needed my boyfriend to support me, and you didn't. How can I be in a relationship with someone like that?" Kingston's eyebrows furrowed.
"Are you saying...?" he trailed off, desperation in his eyes.

"We've argued about so many stupid things in the past but they've never really mattered. This one - it's a deal breaker." Lily swallowed. "Goodbye, Kingston."

And with that, she turned and walked away, leaving Kingston standing alone in the corridor.

*

Izzy sat alone on the sofa in the old Studio B. It was rarely used for rehearsing in anymore, so the dancers would use it to get some time away when things got overwhelming at the studio. For Izzy, that was what she needed right now.

She heard the door open but didn't have the energy to lift her head to look. Instead, she stayed as she was, her head resting on her knees, which she hugged tightly to her chest.

"Hey." Heath said, and Izzy looked up at him as he sat down next to her. He had never seen her with her hair down before, and it made her look so much more vulnerable. The look on her face was so sad, and Heath was devastated seeing her like this. "Izzy..." he whispered.

She broke down then, her face screwing up and tears flowing freely. Heath leant forward to hug her and she gripped her arms firmly around his back.

They sat like that for about 10 minutes in silence, as Heath waited for her breathing to calm down. Once it did, he pulled away and looked at her.
"Izzy, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I really wish that we got to dance on the Nationals team together, because you're the best friend I've made here." Heath said. "And besides, I might still be on B-troupe with you yet, kid."

Izzy laughed as she nudged him playfully.
"Thanks for being there for me, Heath. I don't deserve a friend like you."
"Yes." Heath smiled fondly at his friend. "Yes, you do."