Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

Her hair curled wildly after the scrubbing she gave it when she washed up using the water and basin left in the room. There was not much else she could do with it, so she let it be.

Clara was thrilled to discover under the tissue paper a pair of slipper type shoes that were adorned with the same embroidered pattern as her sari. They made the outfit complete and also would give her surer footing on deck.

It was quite some time before she heard a knock on the door and Benjamin came to retrieve her. Clara opened the door only to find it was not Benjamin but Andrew who stood on the other side. Clara frowned but Andrew smiled. He could not take his eyes from her. She was a vision. The captain as right, Clara was no mere miss.

"Sorry to disturb you Lady Bentley McAllister but your husband and the Captain requested I fetch you for the morning meal."

Clara thought it odd that Benjamin did not come himself to collect her but said nothing and followed Andrew through the ship to the Captain's quarters. Two quick raps on the door and they were bid to enter.

Benjamin's eyes widened as he took in Clara and her new state of dress. She could only be described as exotic. His pulse quickened at the sight of her. He looked over to McCullen who wore a similar expression of appreciation and frowned.

"Thank you, Mr. Hodgkin," Benjamin said taking Clara's hand, the man bowed and left to attend to his duties.

"You're stunning!" Benjamin leaned in to whisper in Clara's ear and she was surprised to find he was not the least bit miffed at her and although grateful, could not help but wonder why.

Benjamin led her over to Captain McCullen who had not broken eye contact with her since she entered the room. "May I present to you Captain James McCullen of the Black Star."

So that was the reason, McCullen had not told Benjamin they had already met. Then what had he wanted to talk to Benjamin about regarding her? Clara gave a deep curtsey and lowered her eyes demurely.

"Enchanted," Captain McCullen said and grinned as Clara colored.

When her eyes rose and met his, Clara noted McCullen's eyes held a challenge. He was keeping her secret but what would be the price? Clara did not know much about him but as a privateer, she knew one thing for certain, nothing this man did would be for free.

"Captain." Clara rose and took her husband's arm, in a clear display of to whom she belonged to incase the Captain was in doubt of that.

Benjamin smiled at her as her rest his hand over hers.

"Ah Benji, your description of her beauty did not do her justice in the slightest. Shame on you," McCullen mocked and Benjamin's look soured.

"If I had that would only be because there are no words to adequately describe what beauty the lady holds is both inside and out."

Clara breath caught at his words and she smiled up at him grateful he spoke so highly of her. Perhaps she was wrong to be so worried.

Benjamin's looked turned downright threatening as his gaze pierced the Captain. "And you'd do well to remember she is a married woman and more importantly to whom she is wed," Benjamin warned.

McCullen let out a hearty chuckle. "Cease and desist, Benjamin. I'm well aware, and will not overstep my boundaries. But you must forgive my envy of your possession of such a rare and exotic flower as Mrs. McAllister."

Clara's had to resist the unladylike urge to snort at such empty flattery, but could not resist her urge to speak out. "I am neither possession nor a flower, dear Captain. I'm just a woman as ordinary as any other."