"Well, I shared a dorm with his friend, Nikita, who offered to take me out for dinner to meet her friends on the first day of school last year. That's when I met Isaac."

"We had a general essay writing class together last year during our first semester," Isaac added, "and that's where we really got to know each other."

"I helped him a lot when our prof put us through a grammar refresher," Lexi laughed.

Isaac joined in on her laughter. "Believe me, she was a lifesaver."

His parents didn't laugh but smiled at the couple's interactions.

"So, Lexi," his father said, "what are you studying"

"I'm doing my Honours Bachelor in Literature and Creative Writing."

Upon hearing this answer, Isaac's parents' smiles vanished. Lexi's nerves— which had mostly disappeared by this point— began to resurface once again. She decided to elaborate so that hopefully they would understand why she'd picked such a major to study.

"I want to be an author, and NYU's program was much stronger than most anything offered in San Diego or anywhere else in California. I know it's a tough industry to break into, but I'm determined to succeed no matter what. So, I chose that major to further my existing skills as a writer."

"It's not really a stable career option," Isaac's mother remarked. "What if you fail?"

"I can always pursue a career in teaching English," Lexi answered. "It's a good degree choice for that, and I like teaching, too."

Isaac's parents shared disapproving looks, but it was his father who spoke first. "And what do your parents think of this?"

"They're worried because they're my parents, and that's what they do. But they're still really supportive of everything I pursue."

If her answer was intended to put Isaac's parents at ease, it seemed to do the opposite. They appeared to be less than pleased by her response.

"I'm not sure I'm okay with any of this," Isaac's mother said. "Isaac, I don't like the idea that you're dating someone that you'll only see during school."

Isaac frowned slightly. "I know we'd have to be long-distance during the summer, but it'd only be for a few months. We can handle it."

"Yeah, it is what it is," Lexi piped up. "It won't be hard to stay in touch, what with texting and social media making it easier."

"I see," Isaac's father commented.

Lexi raked one hand through her hair and bit her lip. This meeting was going downhill fast, and she just wanted to escape it. She tried to keep up her composure, but it was only growing more and more difficult by the second.

Isaac sensed his girlfriend's discomfort, so he nudged her gently. "Lexi, could you please give me a minute? I'd like to speak to my parents alone if you don't mind."

"Yes, of course," she replied. "It was so nice to finally meet you both."

"Thank you," Isaac's mother said. The smile she flashed on-screen was phony as her eyes shone with distaste.

Lexi slowly stood up and walked to the bathroom, presumably to recover from the tense situation. Isaac exhaled loudly and ran both hands through his hair.

"You don't seem very happy," his father noted.

"I just wish you guys liked Lexi. She's a great person."

"But I don't think she's right for you," his mother admitted. "She's not pursuing a real job like you are. You'd probably end up having to support her."

"Mom, we've only been dating for a few months. I haven't even thought about stuff like that."

"I'm just thinking about the long-term, that's all."

"She doesn't seem serious enough for you," his father said.

"Well, she can be a serious person," Isaac replied. "She takes school very seriously. Believe me, I've been in class with her, so I've seen it firsthand."

"Maybe you're right," his mother said, "but I still think she's not good enough for you."

"Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then."

"Also, I'm worried that you're just rushing to be with someone else again. You can't seem to be alone."

"That's not true. Neither of us was looking to date, but we decided to do so on a whim. We didn't expect to become a couple— honest! But it happened, and we're both happy. I'm happy. I promise that you guys will meet her in person at some point. I don't know how or when yet, but I'll make it happen before the school year ends."

His parents didn't look convinced, but they chose to not say anything further. "I guess we should get going. We'll talk to you later, okay?" his father said.

Isaac nodded. "Sure. Bye."

He didn't wait to hear his parents say their goodbyes and chose instead to end the chat abruptly. He closed his laptop before getting up to look for Lexi. His search didn't take long— she was sitting on the couch in the living room. He took a seat and wrapped an arm around her shoulders to pull her close to his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Lexi."

"Don't be. It was all my fault."

Isaac frowned. "Don't say that. You didn't say anything wrong; they just didn't like your answers."

"I really wish they liked me," Lexi mumbled. She paused to exhale with frustration. "It was going well until that happened."

"I know."

"I feel like shit."

"Please don't," Isaac said. "I'm not gonna break-up with you just because my parents don't like you. I still care about you a lot, okay? Their disapproval just makes me want to make this relationship work more than ever now. I won't give up on us, so long as you promise to do the same."

Lexi looked up with a relieved grin. "I promise."

Isaac returned the grin and kissed her head. "Good."