Chapter 14 - The Baseball Bat

Start from the beginning

“Oh, sorry...”

I glare at Jake, “What do you want?” I demand, my heart sinking. I already know.

“Um, I was just... You know about today? I just want to get this straight... Lucy kissed me.” I scoff and he hurriedly continues, “She was trying to get back together with me and she just...”

I cross my arms, “And I care because?”

He shrugs back, “I just thought you should know...”

“Spit it out Jake. I know you want to ask about Trent.”

He rakes his hand through his hair, “What’s up with that? I thought you hated him... And aren’t you going out with Linc?”

“I am! And I hate Trent! Lucy was lying about what happened with him. We didn’t hook-up. I swear!”

Calm down Hailey. You’re blabbering. Don’t make a bigger mess of this than it needs to be.

I try to compose myself a bit, “He just tried to kiss me s’all... He didn’t really do anything and… You know the rest. Linc just took me out for coffee and we came back late…”

“And when during that time did your dressed get ripped?”

Shit. He realised. Hell, I bet EVERYONE realised…

I close my eyes, “Ok, so he tried a bit more than a kiss...”

“How much more? Hmmm? Did he lock you in a room with himself? Did he throw you on a bed? Did he try to rape you Hailey? Are you going to tell me or are you just going to sit there and pretend like nothing’s happened and just live in fear for the rest of your life?!” As his voice gets louder and louder tears started to well up in my eyes. He rakes his hand through his hair again, “That bastard.” He mutters, “I’m going to kill him.”

I grab onto Jakes arm as he turns around, “It’s ok. Please. Don’t Jake. Linc’s already done enough. You’ll just make it worse. Like you always do.”

I realise what I’ve said and abruptly let go, muttering an apology, “Sorry. That was harsh…”

He brushes his hair out of his eyes and we stand there like that for a while. I can see he’s struggling within himself to calm down. I wipe away the rogue tears falling down my face.

 He sighs after what seems like hours, “Are you ok though?” I nod my head, mustering up a small smile. He tucks my hair behind my ear, “I just…I worry about you… I know I come across as a mean and everything… but that’s just how I am, I guess… I can’t stop… I’m sorry I was a total jerk at the party… If I hadn’t shouted like that and said that crap about Linc then maybe–”

“You had a bit too much to drink and you weren’t thinking straight.” I interrupt patting his arms tentatively, “ It’s ok. You’re trying to make up for it now, and I know your trying your best. That’s all that matters now. What happened at the party is in the past.”

He gives me a pained smile, “I know… I just. Never mind… Well, goodnight.”

He turns around again and heads out the door, “Um Jake?” I call out.

He turns his head, “Yeah?”

“I… Don’t… Please don’t tell anyone else… You know about Trent and everything…”

He shrugs, “I won’t. But, don’t get angry at me if they put the pieces together.”

I cross my arms, a grim expression set on my face, “I won’t.”