Chapter 10 - The Perfect Costume

Chapter 10

Her arm hangs over the side of her bed, her hand barely gripping the book she was reading. Her eyes are heavy. The girl is so tired she doesn’t even care that she should be getting home soon. She decides right then and there that she’s just going to have to sleep here and her friend can take the couch. He won’t mind. It’s happened before. Her eyes droop and her book falls, her breathing steadies.

The door opens slowly with a creak. The man in the doorway freezes as she sighs and turns over. He walks in and shuts the door behind him quietly.

The girl mumbles something in her sleep and smiles.

The man smiles slowly and walks over to her bed. He brushes the hair off of her forehead and strokes the side of her face.

She sleeps on, undisturbed.

His fingers brush her collarbone and trail down her bare shoulder and arm.

She frowns slightly.

Her mattress dips as he climbs onto the bed. He leans his head down towards her neck breathing in her scent, kissing it softly.

Her frown deepens and she tries to move. She can’t, there’s something – or someone – on top of her.

The man exhales, the smell of alcohol and cigarettes on his breath. He groans softly. His hand creeps under her top, slow, unsteady movements, pushing the fabric higher and higher.

The girl squirms. Something is definitely wrong.

His hands travel downwards, quickly now, aware that he doesn’t have much time.

She’s now awake. She realises what’s happening. She tries to push him off. She can’t say anything. Her voice sticks in her throat, unable to break out despite the pure terror coursing through her. Her eyes widen as her eyes adjust to the darkness and sees who it is.

I scream.

*

I bolt upright, gasping for breath. My sweat mingles with my tears as I frantically look around the room, trying to figure out where I am. I’m still in my room at the McLane’s. It’s 9 am; Saturday. My heart hammers inside my chest, as I try to find where he could be hiding.

It was a dream Hailey… Just a dream…

I close my eyes and lean back against the wall. It’s been so long since those dreams have come back to haunt me. I breathe in deeply and then let it out.

In, Out. In, Out. In, Out.

My heart slowly goes back to its normal pace and my earlier terror subsides.

He’s not here, he’s not here.

I push the memories out of my mind and stare at the new painting I’ve started on my wall, remembering its message. It’s a girl, stuck in a mirror. Unable to get out. She needs to get out. She needs to leave the past behind her. That girl is me.

Someone knocks softly on my door. I jump about a foot in the air.

So much for calming down.

“Uh, who is it?” I call out tentatively.

“It’s Seth, can I come in?”

I look down at myself and then cautiously bring my hands up to my hair.

Hell No.

“Uh, sorry Seth. Um, I’m not really that decent at the moment…”

Good excuse Hailey, good excuse…