review two: Memories of Quebec

Plotline: At first, I was interested to take a look at your book since it's a Mystery-Romance similar to mine, and I can tell you take a lot of inspiration from k-dramas as well

Plotline: At first, I was interested to take a look at your book since it's a Mystery-Romance similar to mine, and I can tell you take a lot of inspiration from k-dramas as well. Esp I feel like it has some similarities to 'The Memories of The Alhambra' and has some of the k-drama tropes like rich boy CEO and I think you weren't able to make that aspect stand out very much. I think the plot is still very good, it's definitely unique from the usual western-themed and high-school stories that are swimming in Wattpad.

However, I feel as though the mystery element isn't highlighted well enough and feels more of a Romance book, the mystery simply coming as a sub-genre. It was quite a slow burn as well, the action only arising in the 6th chapter with that cliffhanger. I'd expected a bit more bits and pieces of mystery surrounding the murder and the early chapters but it felt rather lazy and bland when we only learn more information from the tv in a bar or restaurant. The murder happened close to Sam's home so I don't really understand why she isn't talking more about it with other people or why she's just brushing it off as if it were a normal occurrence.

Though I thought the part where he called her pretty was a cute moment. I think you'll have to improve more on the mystery element of the book and honestly also on the romance element but I'll get to that when I talk about the characters.

Character development: Firstly, I thought it was strange that you had to give so much heavy emphasis on the racial background of our MCs, it was a little uncomfortable because it felt like a blurred line between diversity and romanticizing one's racial background. You could be a little more subtle, I recommend you check out 'Highway of Lights' because the author did a good job of depicting the MC as an Asian-American without it being too in your face. Also, your character aesthetics need work. I didn't like that I was able to know so much about the characters before the first chapter such as Sam's aspirations and hard-working nature or Charles' reason for going to Quebec and his passion for Architecture.

"Show, don't tell" Don't tell the readers this and that about Sam and Charles' personality, it's better to show the readers their traits and how they interact, it takes away from the interest of reading when we already know a lot about them before even getting to the first chapter. Also, Brianna feels like a typical mean girl who hates the main character for no reason, and so I kinda wish you could've played more with her character and made her more dynamic instead of making her seem so antagonistic. Another thing between Sam and Charles, I don't really feel a good chemistry between them.

They seem awkward and their conversations are sometimes bland and boring at times. Also, this is just a personal opinion but Sam narrating the history of the landmarks to the tourists is not necessary and kinda bore me, they don't do anything to advance the plot and you could've just made that part vague. But when she was talking about the history of a landmark with Charles, that was acceptable since it turned into a joke.

Another thing, I get that you're trying to squeeze in a way for Sam and Charles to bond more and the tour with double payment was a good idea. I don't particularly like though how Sam complained about taking Charles to his hotel and makes it a big deal and calls him a jerk. Didn't she say so herself that the hotel is just a walking distance away? I get that she could lose clients so she could've politely said no so why is she blaming Charles? Another big no, was when Sam assumed that Charles was from Korea as she is Korean herself. That's subtle racism if I'm being honest, and I don't think I should have to elaborate further on that.