Chapter 2: New Member

◇Zander's Pov◇

My idiotic stepsister just invited some random weirdo, without MY permission or approval... Either way, we meet up today to check him out.

Hailey kept on insisting that he was good, but... I dunno...

But I decided to take her word for it and trust her, for my stepsister's sake...

"Hey, Luke... Do you think this new guy is any good?"

Luke puts down his sandwich and looks at me.

"Well, I think we should trust Hailey on this one... She said he plays the trumpet, and we can use anyone we can get... So maybe?"

"Yeah, you're probably right, thanks Luke..." I reply sheepishly.

"Y-yeah, no problem..."

We all meet up in the music room again, I watch Jake eyeing new guy up and down. I don't blame him, new guy has that stereotypical bad boy look.

"Hey, guys... My name is Tyler, nice to meet you all..." He greets, pulling out his trumpet.

"So you play that?" I ask, skeptical.

"Oh, sorry... Just kinda nervous..." He chuckles. Tyler proceeds to form his fingers around the correct buttons and starts to blow.

We all watch him play his trumpet a bit.

"Woah, you're actually pretty good, dude!" Milly bursted. "You should teach me sometime..."

"Thanks... I had a passion since I was little..."

"Yeah, Zander?" Luke asked me.

"Alright, fine! You can join, I guess..." I shrug.

Hailey smiles brightly and proceeds to explain his role.

Jake steps up to me.

"Yo, Zander... Does he kinda seem... Off, to you?" Jake asked.

"Heh, we finally agree on something. But yeah, I don't have a good feeling about him." I grumble.

"Right?! If he wanted to join, why didn't he do that before?"

"Prehaps because we had more publicity now..."

"Maybe... I dunno, I think I'll keep an eye on him..." Jake grumbled.

"That makes two of us."

"Hey, hey, hey, watcha two gossiping about?" Milly interrupted.

"Nothing." We both blankly state.

"You two are making fun of new guy, huh? That's not nice..." Milly sighs.

"We just don't trust him..." I reply.

"Don't be such a buzzkill, Zander! He's just some guy who likes playing the trumpet. You two should be more nice!" She huffed.

"Oh please... We're not making fun, just a bit concerned is all..." I sigh.

"Alright, Jake, we need to practice..." Sean butted in.

"Alright, is Trumpet gu- I mean Tyler gonna play too?" Jake asked.

Hailey nods. "He has the music sheets. Just keep singing Jake, like we don't exist..." She assures.

"Okay... Then..." Jake tenses.

He looks at me with worry, then looks back to the mic.

He starts to sing as all our instruments correspont together.

I might not admit it to anyone. But the trumpet was a really nice touch to the music.

After that we have a break.

"Great job everyone, especially you, Tyler...  Practice again tomorrow... See you all later!" Hailey called.

Everyone started to head out.

I watch as Jake tenses after watching Hailey and Tyler talk together. He stomps away like a fool.

I wonder what's up...

♧Milly's Pov♧

Jake and Zander don't like Tyler all that much, for some reason... And I'm gonna get to the bottom of it!

"Jake, I need to talk to you..." I say, grabbing his shoulder.

He looks at me and shrugged. "What's up, Milly?"

"What's up with you and Zander, you can tell me anything!" I pleaded.

"I dunno, Milly..." Jake says. It's quiet for a moment.

"I just think it's suspicious that he didn't join earlier... You know?"

"Oh?" I ask, intrigued.

"Yeah... He said he's had a passion since he was little."

"But you did too-"

"That's different! I was rude and embarrassed..." Jake grumbled.

"I'm sorry, Jake..." I sigh. He looks at me with a pleading look.

"N-n-no... Milly, it's not your fault, just forget about this okay? I'll be nice to him..."

"Cool, I like it when we're all friends..."

"Cool, cool... I'm heading home, see you on Saturday..." Jake replies, walking off with Sean.

I sigh. As I walk to get my backpack, I spot Lia and, ugh... Zoey... In front of my locker.

They spot me immediately and walk towards me.

"You... You snake! Everyone would know your crush if it weren't for that dumb idiot, Jake!" Zoey huffed.

"Oh c'mon, Zoey... Jake is kinda cute..." Lia gushed.

"Whatever, Lia... Anyways... Milly..."

"Yeah?" I ask, curious.

"Who's that new hottie in the freak club, I think he's lost..." Zoey said sweetly, batting her eyelashes.

"Right... You weirdo, his name is Tyler... He plays the trumpet." I reply.

"Ah, well, just wanted to ask." Zoey shrugged.

"Okay, anything else?" I ask once more.

"Yes, can you go bring some water? I'm really thirsty..." She giggled.

"You sure are, you have a boyfriend..." I reply, rolling my eyes and walking away.

"Wha- Alright, ouch..." Zoey grumbled.

"Damn, she's fiesty..." Lia laughed.

I continued walking through the garden and spotted Elliott.

My heart races as he notices me and walks towards me.

"Oh, hey Milly... What brings you here...?" He asked sweetly, his glasses shining in the light.

"O-oh, I really like this garden... I think it's beautiful." I reply in a panic.

"Me too, people think it's nerdy that I hang around plants..." Elliott sighs.

"They probably never stopped to smell the roses... Literally." I reply.

Elliott laughs. "Yeah, you're right. We'll I'll see you later then." He waves and walks away.

"Bye..." I reply awkwardly.