Chapter thirteen

Robert's POV

Later that evening, after my nap, I was finally ready to tell my parents about Sabrina. I called them to the hall and they sat facing me. ''Mum....do you remember the time I broke up with Arianna and you came to my office and told me that if I didn't learn to love someone, I was never going to be happy?'' I asked her. ''Well yes. Why do you ask?'' my mum asked. ''Because...'' I hesitated and leaned forward in my seat before I continued, ''About a month ago, I was sent on a work trip to Washington and I met this girl.'' ''Go on...'' my mum encouraged. ''And from the first day I saw her, I couldn't get her off my mind. We went on one date, lost contact and then met again a few weeks later at Ryan's wedding. We picked off where we started and then soon enough, she became my girlfriend. Anytime I am with her, think about her or even talk about her, I feel so happy. I have never felt this way about any girl before and she has changed me a lot,'' I stated. ''So what's the problem then?'' my dad asked. ''The problem is....... I think I'm in love with her,'' I replied. As soon as my mum heard that, she got up from her seat and started dancing all over the place. ''Woo-hoo. Finally I'm going to have a daughter-in-law and more grandkids,'' she celebrated. ''Wait how is that a problem?'' she asked calming down and returning to her seat. ''What you just did. That's the problem. I'm not ready for this. Marriage and kids and all of that. I never planned to do any of it,'' I complained. ''But then what else am I supposed to do? Because it seems like everybody expects that once you fall in love with someone, you tell the person and if the person feels the same way, you get married, have kids and live happily ever after,'' I said annoyed. ''Calm down mi hijo,'' my mum said. ''Listen son,'' my dad said placing his hand on my shoulder. ''I know all this is new to you and you're freaking out,'' he added. ''But I need to ask you this question and you need to think about it carefully before you answer with all sincerity. Do you really love this girl?'' he asked. I paused and thought about what he asked long and hard. I could hear my heart pounding and I broke a sweat and the room begun to grow dark like what happened at Ryan and Serena's house. No Robert! Focus. So I closed my eyes and started thinking about Sabrina. I thought about her smile, her laughter, how pretty she is and the way I feel around her. Just then, the room begun to look bright again. Even brighter than it was before. I began to smile and my heart stopped pounding. The sweat on my forehead magically disappeared and the fear and anxiety I felt was replaced with peace and happiness and then, I replied, ''Yes. I love her.'' ''Does she feel the same way?'' my dad asked. ''I don't know I haven't told her yet,'' I replied. ''Well are you planning to?'' my mum asked. ''No...yes...I don't know,'' I said frustrated. My dad looked at me intently and said, ''You're scared of something. What are you so afraid of?'' he asked. I answered honestly, ''I'm afraid of getting my heart broken. I'm afraid that what I did to the other girls I dated will be done to me in a more severe way. I'm afraid that she might not feel the same way and if she doesn't, I am going to be broken and depressed and I'll no longer be guarded.'' ''Well, if you really want to know whether she feels the same way, you've got to tell her. Maybe it's time for you to give up your player title and let someone else have it,'' my mum stated. ''Your mum's right. You are too old for this,'' my dad agreed. ''And as for the heartbreak son, once you start to fall in love, it is going to come in different forms and from different people that is, if you and Sabrina break up and you fall in love with someone else,'' my mum stated. ''And it is going to hurt like hell but that's why we're here. Your friends and family. They are the only ones who can help you through times like these. You are going to be depressed for a while, but you'll eventually get over it and move on in life and that's how life goes until you finally find the one,'' my mum explained. ''At the end of the day, you'll forget the pain or at least try to. And....remember the lesson and as for karma, it's going to come but as long as you don't go back to dating one of your ex's, you'll be fine,'' my dad added. ''Thanks guys,'' I said. I suddenly felt so much better. ''You should call her and tell her how you feel,'' my mum said. ''I have a better idea. I was supposed to spend my vacation with her in Washington but I blew her off because I was freaking out about the whole falling in love thing. What if tomorrow, I go back to Washington and surprise her then I tell her?'' I asked. ''That's a good idea but this is your first love confession. Are you sure you want to do it face to face? If she says she doesn't feel the same way, it can scar you for the rest of your life.'' My mum stated. ''No, I think it's a great idea. Be a man and face her and the consequence,'' my dad disagreed. ''You're right dad. I'll go and tell her tomorrow,'' I said gathering courage. ''Okay but can you leave like a little later, I mean we hardly have you around like this and I miss our mother and son bonding moments,'' my mum said. ''What about you and Ricardo's bonding moments?'' I laughed. ''I bond with each of my sons differently,'' my mum stated. ''Okay fine. I'll leave on Thursday,'' I said. ''Good. But you should call Sabrina and at least tell her you're not ignoring her,'' my mum said. ''If I call her, she'll ask when I'll be coming and it'll ruin the surprise,'' I stated. ''Okay send a text then,'' my mum said. ''I will but right now, my phone is upstairs so I'll do it when I go to my room,'' I said.